I start Chemo on Monday - don't know what to expect?

Kuini
New Contributor

I start Chemo on Monday - don't know what to expect?

I start Chemo on Monday and I feel that I am blind folded about the experience. My doesn't make sense, the nursing staff keep telling everyone is different. I just need answers, can anyone help me!
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Kuini
New Contributor

Re: I start Chemo on Monday - don't know what to expect?

I start Chemo on Monday and I feel that I am blind folded about the experience. My doctor doesn't make sense, the nursing staff keep telling everyone is different. I just need answers, can anyone help me!
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Kuini I had a course of chemo for a different cancer and got various reactions most cancers are treated with different chemicals I had a friend treated for lung cancer and she breezed through it we are all different you wont know until you have it good luck kj
0 Kudos
oldhippy
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kuini (lovely name, wheres it from?) It will be OK (in a strange, bizarre sorta way, of course) - the Chemo Nurses will run you through it all, what happens, what you need to do, give you brochures, you should get morning tea and lunch, and yes, having holes put in you aint nice, but I must say the nurses who do me are brilliant - they are REALLY good at it. Hot packs, skill - only missed up twice in a lot of sessions. Ask them questions, they will tell you. Mine even ring me up the day before so I can go get the blood tests done before chemo they know how it vagues you out. Side Effects. Yes. There are about 200 pages of them - which ones do you want? - its highly individual,(except for the feeling crap bit) you wont know till it happens. When it does, check in here again, most of us cop this and after a while you know what to do for a particular side effect... (You will accumulate a HUGE collection of Assorted Tablets ....in a whole range of shapes, sizes, colours - the red ones you should avoid, the blue ones are usually OK) Andrew the oldhippy.
0 Kudos
Allicat
Contributor

Hi Kuini I had chemo for breast cancer which finished in February. 4 x AC and 4 x Taxol. The AC made me somewhat queasy and tired and the Taxol gave me leg pains. But it was all manageable. I went to work through treatment - although I often arrived late and left early. But as the nurses say - everyone is different. My sister is having the same treatment and she is having the whole time off work. Best wishes for Monday
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Kuni, I've had 8 months of chemo and the best advice I can give to you is dont be afraid. Accept that the chemo is there to help you and want it to help bring your body back to health. That approach, as opposed to fear, will make a HUGE difference and your experience so much better. Did you know that most people get sick before chemo? That's because the fear of chemo can be stronger then the actual drugs. I wish you peace and a smooth journey through chemo. U can
0 Kudos
Bindy
Occasional Contributor

It is true that chemo effects people differently, but the nurses are experienced and can advise on the most common reactions. The nurses are always good and will listen when a patient talks about how they are feeling. I have just finished my chemo (including high dose chemo) and a stem cell transplant and the nurses at Peter Mac where the best.
0 Kudos
Annie333
Occasional Contributor

Hello Kuini, (New Zealand name?) Well you had your chemo today and I do hope it wasn't bad. I found there are up days and down days. Depending on how many days between doses. My ones were every few weeks. On the third day after chemo I had what I called a low day. Very weak and almost dizzy. But within twenty four hours I was right as rain again. I did have the high doses and this went on for twelve months. I found the red one to be the worst. But this is the one they promised would be the best one for my cancer. There are many i know that breeze and work through their treatments, I hope you are one of them. Just remember to take it easy and as the above posts have mentioned, ask as many questions as you like for the health professionals are there to help you. Eat well (some frozen meals can help if you can't cook), take vitamins or supplements (doctors will talk to you about these)Anything that can relax you will help ease your tension before hand and drink plenty of fluids before each injection. God Bless and let us know how you went Annie
0 Kudos
Leeanne
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kuini I am about to start Radio/chemo next Monday and similarly don't know really what to expect. From what people have told me everyone is different, (I have been over every possible side effect with the oncologist and now they just run into each other). I know that doesn't help as it doesn't help me either. One common thread though is our attitude going in so I am going to view this as just one way to help me get well. Go with it and be true to yourself. I wish you all the best and see you on the other side. In light and laughter Leeanne
0 Kudos
julia.w
Deceased

It is so scary starting chemo. Make sure you take someone to keep you distracted and keep you company. Also make sure you take all the anti nausea medicine they give you even if you feel ok. You didn't mention what type of chemo? I had AC which is pretty strong. I found that the days after the medicine was finished was when I felt most nauseous but I just took my maxolon and I was fine. I was knackered the first week, then the next two were ok and I would work in those weeks. Your hair may start to fall out after about two weeks, it's a good idea to cut it short before this happens and to shave it all off once it starts in earnest. Go to the Look Good, Feel Better classes they run which will help with makeup, scarves and wigs, plus you get to meet lots of others in your situation. Good luck with everything, we're all here for you Julia xx
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.