Avastin for GBM - is it worth the $$$?

peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Avastin for GBM - is it worth the $$$?

I'd like to see what the experience people here have on using Avastin for GBM. I think we have to make a decision on the next chemo that my partner should try after the new drug he tried doesn't work. All my research seems to point towards Avastin. It's a lot of money and my partner doesn't think a few months that he might get from Avastin worth the $. The doctor said we start off by paying for one dose and see whether it works for him. If it does, then we continue on and once we hit a certain amount $20-30K, not sure, then Roche will chip in the rest providing that the drug proves working. In a way it's like gambling but if you don't try, you will never know whether it can help extending his life. I don't want to live with regret in the future, thinking what if....
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
wombat4
Contributor

Re: Avastin for GBM - is it worth the $$$?

Although I have no exp with GBM, I have had exp with another cancer and Avastin was used with Folfox, and whether it was the combo of all the chemo drugs or individual ones, it worked and the main tumour stopped growing and reduced to half size quite rapidly. The thing is, if you dont try it, you may have regrets at a later stage. What "ifs" can fill our minds. $20-30K is a small price to pay if it works. Wombat4
0 Kudos
exhausted
Contributor

Hi Nat my man had avastin for 17 months and is currently having a rest from it. It was a miracle drug for him as he was virtually bedridden and very confused, barely able to talk before the avastin. He is still going resonably stable. The avastin was funded by Roche after 4 treatments were shown to improve things so try to fight for a better deal. We were really blessed as our hospital in Geelong funded the first 4 treatments so we have not been out of pocket. Whats happening with the trial? Hugs Terese.
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

We've decided to go with Avastin. It's quite expensive but I don't think I can live with regret.
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Hi Terese, The trial seems to work with the original tumour which has EGFRvIII abnormality by reducing the size 5 weeks ago and the scan last week looks the same which I still find it positive. However, the new tumour that showed up 5 weeks ago has grown quadruple it size so it was suggested that we stopped the trial. It is possible that the new tumour has different cell types and probably does not have EGFRvIII abnormality so the drug doesn't work. Great to hear the positive side of Avastin. 17 months! WOW Our oncologists only said 'a few months' and wouldn't give us any number. We hope that the drug will work; otherwise, we probably run out of option. :-S Cheers, Nat
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Hi Nat and Terese I am a bit confused s to where your partner is with the posts dated 11/06/12 and 14/06/12? But based on your post dated thurs 14/06/2012, my partner had a similar experience, she has been on the Avastin trail with the original tumour contained, but now has a new tumour growth. She is now off the Avastin after 4 months and has started taking Carboplastin (chemo drug) 4 weeks ago. My research indicated the Avastin has a average 3.8-4.2 months effectiveness, so she gained this extra time with a reasonable quality of life. Geoff
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Nat and any others interested Just came across this site for the trial of Avastin gives some insight into the effectiveness (min 2.3 months extra time) and a side effect with possible GS tumour "(GS is a rare variant of GBM that has gliomatous and sarcomatous features, and most are primary tumors. Secondary GSs are usually diagnosed at surgery for previously resected and irradiated GBM and "have a greater propensity for extracranial metastases," Dr. Yang said. In addition, "there are some reports suggesting that the outcome of gliosarcoma is worse than glioblastoma.)" http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/762970 There are some other related topics on GBM also on this site, so more reading some furtehr extracts from this site below of the Avastin trial "results were presented here at the 80th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons Bevacizumab for GBM Linked to More Secondary Gliosarcomas...... the incidence of secondary GS was 15.4% (6 of 39 patients), compared with 0.6% among patients who had not received it (2 of 312)...... Overall Survival Times Treatment Survival Duration After Initial Diagnosis (mo) Bevacizumab, secondary GS 16.1 No bevacizumab, secondary GS 19.2 Bevacizumab, no secondary GS 18.5 No bevacizumab, no secondary GS 13.8 Looking just at the effect of bevacizumab on survival time after initial diagnosis, Dr. Yang said patients who received the drug "had an overall survival a little over 18 months, and patients who did not receive bevacizumab had average survival of approximately 14 months" (P = .117). He concluded that "bevacizumab did not appear to be correlated significantly with overall survival." There was an initial survival advantage of receiving bevacizumab, but at about 20 months, the Kaplan-Meier survival curve fell off sharply for the bevacizumab group." You will have to join to accesss the site. Its free and mainly for medical people but allows for others (i.e. us) to join. Hugs to all for the challenges this crappy cancer inflicts on our partners, wives, friends, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters and ourselves Geoff
0 Kudos
exhausted
Contributor

Hi Geoff thanks for that info, interesting. Cheers Terese.
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for this Geoff. I read about the secondary Gliosarcoma and doesn't quite like it but I can't see we have any better option.
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Hi Terese & Nat The secondary growth with Lorraine is possibly the start of a possible GS tumour??? Lorraine has her carboplastin infusion this Tuesday hopefully we may have some contact with the oncologist (he is not booked for this round) Terese - it seems that your husband is not in the 15% that are effected by the GS tumour so that is great Hope the Avastin continous well for him and you. Hugs Nat & Terese Geoff
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.