Avastin for GBM - is it worth the $$$?

peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Avastin for GBM - is it worth the $$$?

Geoff, Scan in early May shows a new tumour of 7mm in size. End of May - Dennis had problem with speech. Scan in early June shows the new tumour has grown but the old tumour site is stable. Our options as the doctors presented are: - Carboplatin 10-20% chance that it will work - Avastin has higher chance but it may not work and it could mean future clinical trial may not be an option - Phase II (random) of another clinical trial (LY2157299 + Lomustine) which mean we have 50% chance of getting LY2157299 which is the new drug that they are testing We are going to have the first Avastin on 29 June. After 2 doses with 3 weeks apart, we will get a scan to see whether the drug works or not. At the moment, apart from what we all know that the tumour(s) probably keep growing, the speech is quite normal now. Mobility is good but most of the time feeling exhausted.
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Hi Nat Terese Lorraine's tumour resulted her cognitive power, speech and memory have decreased. Her mobility is declining she is getting frail wobbly on bad days, tires easily, watching to ensure she does not fall She gets highly frustrated with not communicating (and me trying to coprehend) As yet she is to start her Dec (steriods)that should reduce swelling and counter some of the adverse effects, otherwise good most of the time. See what adverse effects from the second round of the Carboplatin brings tomorrow. Hugs Geoff
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Hi Geoff, I hope Lorraine's second tumour is not Gliosarcoma. I don't know much about it apart from it's a rare type but treated in the same way as GBM. Well, cancer is bad, no matter what type it is. I don't know how it all works. The doctors don't seem to know much either. It's been a bit over 10 months in and Dennis can still walk, talk, do pretty much everything by himself but not good at physical work any more. His memory isn't quite good and I guess it's from the new tumour in the temporal lobe. I hope this will improve when he gets Avastin this Friday. I hope Lorraine doesn't feel too bad after Carboplatin. Our oncologist would like to add Carboplatin to the Avastin infusion but we want to wait and see whether Avastin on it own does work before he does that. Otherwise, we can't see whether Avastin actually works. Take care, Nat
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Hi Nat Terese Oncologist believes the Avastin does not necessary cause the Gliosarcoma but could be a remainder of that type of cell within the tumour (after the Avastin has attached the other cells) The cause of the Gliosarcoma is unknown Re Lorraine and the Carboplatin - her reactions to it are so not so bad (to date). A friend we made while in hospital did not tolerate the Carboplatin well, she died 4 weeks ago group. Hugs Geoff
0 Kudos
rarsie
Contributor

My sons Oncoligist told us dont bother with Avastin, it would only prolong his life 3 weeks, not sure what to believe anymore Sandra
0 Kudos
wombat4
Contributor

I am so sorry for your sons prognosis rarsie. Peanutz partner may be at different stage in his battle, and as I mentioned with my wife with using the Avastin, it reduced the tumours significantly. A different cancer, but on first dx she was stage 4 and palliative, she went on for a further 2 yrs after dx, with a good quality of life. One of the lesions was discovered at 118mm, grapefruit size, within a few months on Avastin and other drugs (chemo) it reduced to 58mm. It was wonderful to have her with me for those extra 2yrs. Its a tough call, and of course the wishes of the sufferer are foremost. god bless all Wombat4
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

That's not a good news about your friend but everyone is different. Hope for the best possible outcome!
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Sandra - I'll keep you post on how we go with Avastin.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.