I start Chemo on Monday - don't know what to expect?

Allicat
Contributor

Re: I start Chemo on Monday - don't know what to expect?

When I met with a chemo nurse before I started chemo she gave me a pamphlet that had the side effects listed. She said she was legally obligated to give it to me but she advised me not to read it as I would probably not experience most of them and it would only worry me. I did read it but I really liked her advice and her encouraging attitude. Best wishes for Monday Leeanne.
0 Kudos
Leeanne
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Allicat I am going in for my Chemo/radio prep tomorrow - apparently there is a video to watch, so all go now. Thanks for your kind words. I'm just taking one day at a time. Leeanne
0 Kudos
Penny1963
New Contributor

Hi Leeanne Wishing you all the very best for the start of your treatment. Also, just to follow on from Julia w, most of the bowel cancer chemos don't cause your hair to completely fall out, although you do tend to get some thinning. I've been on chemo for 7 months and stil have hair, so don't do anything drastic until you see how it goes for you! Take care and good luck Penny
0 Kudos
Leeanne
Occasional Contributor

Hi Penny Thanks for that tip. I hope the ones that thin out are the grey ones - LOL. Cheers. Leeanne
0 Kudos
periMeso
Occasional Contributor

NOT anywhere near as bad as people told me. The chemo experience of a friend or relative may be completely irrelevant and nothing like yours, because CHEMOTHERAPY is DIFFERENT for EVERYBODY. and of course it would be different for you if it is a different illness being treated with different drugs. You might get the drugs that are very easy to tolerate. Waste of worry. Even if you know the names of the drugs you will be using and read about all the possible side effects, nobody gets ALL the side effects, and some people get none.
0 Kudos
julia.w
Deceased

I've had two types of chemo, AC when I was first diagnosed in November 09 and then Xeloda when the cancer spread in August 2011. The AC was difficult to tolerate, in fact the first dose gave me neutropenia and I was in hospital for 12 days. Each subsequent dose required an extra week for my white cell count to raise enough. Each of these made me quite unwell and exhausted for the first week of each three week cycle before I got back near normal but still tired. Of course I lost my hair two weeks after the first dose. The Xeloda is much easier to take. It takes the form of tablets which are taken twice a day for two weeks and then one week off. The side effects are quite minor, although I find myself exhausted. This is something which I will be taking indefinitely until my circumstances change again which of course I hope won't be happening for a very long time. I was unfortunate enough to get hand and foot syndrome for a couple of months but this was eventually cleared up with antibiotics. Apart from that I've had swollen feet which has settled down, and pigment all over my face which hasn't settled. My appetite is very low and I find it hard to eat as much as I should.. Of course I know that my experience will be different to others who may have a greater or lesser tolerance to the chemotherapy drugs that thay're given, but hopefully this will give others an idea of what may happen. Julia
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.