ILC and chemo?

bevvzy
Contributor

ILC and chemo?

I was wondering, in the case of invasive lobular carcinoma, if you always have chemo after surgery? or is it just surgery? I have resigned myself to the fact I will likely have a mastectomy but I thought that would be it, I have accepted that but the whole idea of chemo is already making me nauseus 

6 REPLIES 6
Margaretjoan
New Contributor

Re: ILC and chemo?

Hi Bevvzy,,

My diagnosis was similar to yours which raised the question, "Was chemotherapy necessary if having a bilateral mastectomy.' I also was classed as early breast cancer and no glands involved. A lot of choices are available and sure, the medical team will facilitate you in the direction they feel best but know that it is your choice ,and what you are prepared to have go through in order to have the best outcome. My Doctor was surprised that I personally chose to have chemotherapy following mastectomy. That was 2004 and I have been clear ever since and I am grateful that I don't fear breast cancer after all this time.It feels like my painful decisions have gained my  clear outcome. It's important that you feel you are being looked after and cared for and that you carefully choose what measures you are prepared to take. Warm thoughts and the Very Best to You.

mj

bevvzy
Contributor

hi and thanks so much for the support. I dont know the stage yet as have not had surgery. It only says that it is high grade on the Nottingham grading scale, so quite invasive. It also says on a dermoplastic stroma. I have looked this up and the articles all seem very scholarly so I had a hard time udnerstand. What I did pick up on is that it does seem to have a poorer prognosis. So I think, like you, if given the choice I will be going all out ie every treatment, no matter how rough. i have also decided, given I am paraplegic and cant get out of the chair (making mammograms not possible) that I am going for mastectomy - bilateral. I doubt it would be jsut a lumpectomy anyway, so I figure what is the point in losing only one? all the best Bev

0 Kudos
bevvzy
Contributor

Hi Margaret, finally saw surgeon yesterday, seems like it took fore er although really it was only just over a week!  He has advised mastectomy and auxillary node??, I had already accepted (i thought) the idea of a mastectomy  so I jsut said I would follow his lead.  And yet, although I felt so mentally prepared, I got back and was a mess, oh these irratic emotions are so fast and change by the minute, its hard to keep up with myself 🙂 so please to here you are doing great though. I dont know about chemo, he mentionned it and said would know more a week or so after surgery when they get everything back and have their team meeting. All the best and keep in touch!!

0 Kudos
Margaretjoan
New Contributor

Hi Bevzee,

It is a pretty rough road that you are encountering at the moment and your erratic emotions are absolutely normal. It's great that you can express how you are feeling and I hope you have support with that. I found the medical team while I was having Chemotheraoy were amazing and so caring. If you go down that path you should have an oncologist that will keep an eye on the side affects so that you remain comfortable. I was petrified, mainly because of the history of side affects years ago. But medicine has come a long way from those days and one is given supplement drugs following the chemo so as to make one manage and feel as comfortable as possible. I was very surprised how minimal the affects were and hopefully you will manage just as well. The important thing is you express yourself with any concerns to the team looking after you , so that they know how to help you best. You deserve the best  and I hope you are are getting good attention. Thinking of you, Margaret

bevvzy
Contributor

mine turned out IDC, I am having a mastectomy but dont know about chemo yet
0 Kudos
bevvzy
Contributor

topic says ILC but I know now its IDC. As I said am grade  and having my mastectomy next week. I was thinking, becuase I have become paranoid and have always tended towards anxiety, which is now on a really high scale lol, that I would even ask for chemo; he would prpbably think I was mad!  but honestly I dont think I will handle the checking my left breast EVERY night, I kid you not, I even took a photo of it today so I had a comparison for any visual changes, now thats extreme madness.  I really want to speak up and just say, throw the whole book at me, I dont care how I feel, when its done its done and nothing can be as bad as the mental anguish!

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.