Liver Lesions after Bowel Cancer

countrychick
Not applicable

Liver Lesions after Bowel Cancer

Hi all, I am a bit of a long time looker, but first time poster. I am a 41 year old Mum and was diagnosed with rectal cancer in March 2010. After 6 weeks of chemo and radiation, I had surgery where a 6cm tumer was removed and all lymph nodes were negative. I then had the horid bag for 9 or so months, anther 18 weeks of chemo and then a reversal. By the way, I am not all that up to speed on the medical jargon as you may notice. As I am on a clinical trial, I have regular blood tests, colonoscopies, CT scans etc. My last CT scan has show a small 6mm lesion that has developed on my liver. My oncologist wants me to go back and see her in 2 weeks after the surgeon, radiologist have reviewed the scan. I am really after some realistic opinions as to the likley prognosis. I know everyone is different, but from what I can read on line, should this show to be where the cancer has spread and formed a secondary cancer, the outlook isn't good. Is that whatyou guys refer to as mets to the liver? The CT scan report indicated "suspicious for metastatic disease". Any opinions, experience or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
wombat4
Contributor

Hi countrychick, My wife was

Hi countrychick, My wife was diagnosed with bowel cancer in Febuary 2010. Liver cancer as just that, is reasonably rare and confined to the liver.The metastatic lesions relate to them travelling from elsewhere and setting up in another organ.The lesions in the liver would have bowel cells in them, thats how they can tell if they are secondaries, metastatic. One of the main criteria for a liver transplant is that the cancer is in the liver. They could not operate on my wifes liver lesions as they were too close to the main arteries, she had chemo. Radio Frequency Ablation, may be possible, as well as the radioactive glass beads procedure as well as surgery and chemo, so you do have a few options. Take care wombat4
0 Kudos
wombat4
Contributor

Re: Liver Lesions after Bowel Cancer

Hi countrychick, I will just qualify part of my last post. When I wrote the main criteria for a liver transplant is the cancer is in the liver, I should have also added and not anywhere outside the liver wombat4
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.