Mouth Ulcers

Mandy
New Contributor

Mouth Ulcers

Hi, I am just wondering what treatments people use for mouth ulcers from chemotherapy. I have heard rinsing with salty water or bi carb soda is good. But how much and/or how often? Have you tried anything else and did it work for you? Thanks Mandy
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Mouth Ulcers

Mandy I used BI Carb during chemo so did a friend and it helped I gargled after eating sorry I can't remember if I used it more during the day kj
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Hi Mandy, I used to mix a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of bi-carb in a glass of warm water. Let it cool and use it as often as you like. I used to do it up to ten times a day and It kept my mouth in good shape.. You can try sucking ice whilst you are having chemo if it is via an infusion. That helps as well. Ron.
0 Kudos
Mandy
New Contributor

Thank you to everyone for your help. Hubby never had problems with mouth ulcers but I will pass this onto my friend. She is already doing salt rinse but I will tell her to try bi carb. Mandy Xoxo
0 Kudos
ashes
Contributor

Hi I hope i am not too late in responding to this but it may help for the future. I use Sodium Bicarb Mouthwash. It help to clean all the dry and yucky crap from the tongue, cheeks and gums. Use it as often as you like. For the ulcers which are from low immunity and are like a type of thrush or other infection, get the doctor to give you a script for Nilstat Drops. They work really well and really quickly to kill the infection and stop the symptoms. Between these two things, and brushing every day, your mouth should be ok even when chemo, radiotherapy and low immunity try to make things miserable inside your mouth. Best wishes Ash
0 Kudos
caring_partner
Occasional Contributor

My husband suffered terribly from mouth ulcers one time so bad that he could hardly eat. We tried lots of things but nilstat drops worked almost immediately. I got the drops over the counter at the chemist. Take care Gail.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.