Myeloma therapy

Maureenf
Contributor

Myeloma therapy

Is anybody here having or had treatment for Myeloma, I would like to know more about it, thanks!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Maureenf
Contributor

Re: Myeloma therapy

Am I answering my own question here, lol Dont quite understand this site!
0 Kudos
malcamloz
New Contributor

Hi Maureen, I am currently undergoing treatment for Myeloma. So far I've had 1 full 5 week cyle of chemo consisting of 2 days each week. I'm on a break at the moment and feel pretty good. Will start again next week. While the first couple of treatments mainly gave me chemo brain where I could not retain anything or appeared drunk (as my wife put it), it has become easier after each treatement. Oh, and the other side effect was not being able to sleep because the steroids. I will continue this treatment for the next 3 months, then finish with a stem cell transplant. Hope this helps Maureen.
0 Kudos
Maureenf
Contributor

Thanks for that, so do you think it would be doable if you are by yourself? And just how sick were you to start? Can you tell me what sort of treatment it was, as in drugs! Thanks!
0 Kudos
malcamloz
New Contributor

I think it would be pretty difficult to go to and from treatment by myself. Most days I'm feeling ok after treatment, however there have been times when I've been super tired and not capable of driving. Still trying to work out which drugs have that effect and which ones don't. When I was initially diagnosed i was at stage 3, so was pretty bad. My calcium levels in my blood were so high they were concerned I would have a heart attack or go into a coma. On that day I could not remember much because all I wanted to do was sleep. The next day I was diagnosed then started chemo the day after so I was pretty sick. As far as my chemo drugs they are Clycophosphamide, Dexamethasone, and Valcade. Am also taking a host of other drugs to counter the side effects.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.