New member - non - Hodgkins Lymphoma

LeishyLou
Not applicable

New member - non - Hodgkins Lymphoma

Hi everyone. I'm new to this and it would be great to hear from others. I'm 35 and was 19 weeks pregnant when diagnosed. They initially thought it was a Crohn's disease flare up but scans amd a biopsy confirmed the cancer. Had a 15x9cm mass on my righ adrenal gland. Had no symptoms except for a severe pain on my right side. Given the pregnancy we delayed chemo and started on steroids. The aim was to get me to 32 weeks pregnant so I could deliver my son. Unfortunately I ended up with acid all through my body and my Dr actually thought I was going to die so off to ICU I went. This is where I spent about 10 days but also lost my son at 26 weeks pregnant. I have never experienced so much trauma. Severe herpe virus in my mouth, couldn't eat causing me to lose 38kg. Some might think that's a good thing but I lost my muscle and strength and now need to use a walker and have had to start exercise physio. They also found lymphoma in my placenta which meant had my son survived it was very highly likely he would have ended up with it. After 3 months in hospital and a couple of other visits because of fevers I finished the R-CHOP. Two more stays in hospital after that I finished the methotrexate treatment. Am now anxiously waiting for my PET scan appointment before I have to wait another week to get the results.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Sueblue
Occasional Contributor

Re: New member - non - Hodgkins Lymphoma

Hi LeishyLou, First of all I am so sorry to hear that you lost your son, and the trauma and suffering you have been through over the last few months, it is completely unimaginable. Having a cancer diagnosis is bad enough, let alone everything else you've gone through. I am also new to this. I am 48 years old and was diagnosed with NHL almost 5 weeks ago. The biopsies I've had (Fine needle, excision and bone marrow) have been inconclusive as to which type it is, so all I know is I have Stage 1 B Cell Lymphoma. I've been incredibly lucky that this was discovered early on. I had a PET scan last week and the lymphoma is confined to my neck only (submandibular gland). I begin RCHOP chemo in 2 weeks time. I also have an auto-immune disorder (Rheumatoid Arthritis) which has decided to flare up in a major way at the moment. I can hardly walk and its difficult doing things like getting dressed. I've gone back on steroids though so hopefully that will settle down in a few days as I go back to work on Monday! I have been on Methotrexate too (for the RA)and I thought that was bad enough, having to cope with the fatigue and nausea from that, but I guess the side effects from 20mg of methotrexate are nothing compared to RCHOP ones! The one thing I am looking forward to with RCHOP is that it will temporarily stop RA, so that's something. I hate being in pain everyday! I hope that things turn around for you and your health continues to improve. Sue
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.