New to forum

MikeR
Occasional Contributor

New to forum

Hi All. I am a 53 year old father of a 3 year old who was diagnosed in November last year with HNSCC, stage 4, unknown primary. I just completed 6 weeks of radiation and chemo about 3 weeks ago. I have been following the many helpful posts here--many thanks to all.

The treatment was simply hellish, especially the last several weeks, although I am beginning to regain some energy and get out of the house. I have a PEG from the beginning, and have not really had any food by mouth for about 1 month. Anything and everything burns, I think due to Thrush, which keeps coming back.

I have been exploring some alternative approaches, as well as research trials (in case the radiation and chemo does not kill this--i have another scan in about 3 months. 

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, say hello, and many thanks to all.

Mike (from USA)

1 REPLY 1
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: New to forum

Hi @MikeR,

Welcome and I hope you are doing well! 

You might like to check out this booklet we have on complementary therapies, there are a lot of good suggestions in there.

And I noticed you mention you have a 3 year old, I have a 3 year old as well. This book on talking to kids about cancer is incredibly helpful and you might be interested in this Australian podcast about explaining cancer to kids.

I hope we'll see more of you about here Smiley Happy

-Kate

Cancer Council Online Community Manager

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.