Nueropathy of the head/face from chemo/radiation treatment

sunnyqld2013
Occasional Contributor

Nueropathy of the head/face from chemo/radiation treatment

Does any one suffer from Neuropathy of the head /face, after radiation/chemo treatment,
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
sunnyqld2013
Occasional Contributor

Re: Nueropathy of the head/face from chemo/radiation treatment

My husband has developed Neuropathy of the face/head, has anyone had this at all.
0 Kudos
Missfitz
New Contributor

Hi sunnyqld2013, I had chemotherapy last year finishing in Nov. I had 6 cycles of cisplatin and etoposide. By December I had developed teeth and jaw pain. It comes and goes. I often find it worse in the car. The oncologist couldn't explain it. I also have numbness in both feet which has slightly improved just recently. Panadol doesn't see to lessen the teeth and jaw pain. I have found temporary relief using oil of cloves. 2 drops in olive oil and massage in to the gums and teeth.Try to be precise with where you put it because it causes numbness of the tongue as well. Don't put the oil of cloves on neat as it will irritate the skin. A heated wheat bag also relieves the discomfort temporarily. I couldn't find any information on the Internet about it. Where in the head is your husband getting pain? Hope all goes well for him and that he gets some relief. Missfitz
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I had surgery in my nose and tear duct in April ,2010 and have had neuropathy ever since . It was not from radiation or chemo . I was told about Lyrica about 3 months later and have taken it since then . It has lessened since then so I'm taking a lower dose . The pain and annoying sensations are in part of my mose ,teeth ,around one eye and head as various times and intermittently . It is worth talking to the doctor about this medication .
0 Kudos
sunnyqld2013
Occasional Contributor

Hi Missfitz, My hubby had same chemo drug as u, also radiation, Head pain started in the front R/Side of fore head, spread down to face jaw, teeth, whole right side of head/face down to his neck, Hot /Cold packs ease pain so slightly, new meds have let him at least get 2-4 hrs sleep now, Panadol does nothing either, He has to watch what meds they give him, due to a heart attack 2yrs ago, Do u massage the oil of clove on the outside of your jaw?. Hopeful it will pass soon, hubbby finished treatment 26th Nov 2012 too, he was treated at Melbourne , Thankyou for you thoughts cheers,
0 Kudos
sunnyqld2013
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Silly, Tried Lyrica, didn't work, has started on Metorprolol Tartrate & Endep, has given slight relief, & know getting 2-4 hrs sleep a night, Still waiting for 2nd MIR results ?
0 Kudos
Missfitz
New Contributor

Sounds like I have got off lightly. My discomfort comes and goes. Though frequently. I have heard of lyrica but I am so sick of taking medications. The oil of cloves I only use on gums and teeth. I can't imagine it would penetrate skin like it does the mucous membranes in your mouth. Glad your husband is getting some sleep with the new meds. Nice to see the sun today! Cheers Missfitz
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.