Pain After Whipple Surgery

kj
Super Contributor

Pain After Whipple Surgery

How long does pain last after Whipple surgery i dont mean from the cancer i mean from the actual surgery ,i am still in severe pain 6 months after surgery.does someone who has had the whipple procedure know the answer please. kj
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable

Re: Pain After Whipple Surgery

Hi kj I have not experienced it myself but I was with my partner when she was going through the same procedure. It has been three and a half months since she had it and we could not be happier when it comes to experiencing post-surgical pain. There is none. The surgeon who did it was our first preference. We were very lucky to get him. He made himself available without hesitation. More importantly he did an excellent job. Apart from 12-13 days at the hospital she breezed through it afterwords. She was on Panadol (3-6 a day) and Endone (1 a day) when arrived home (2 weeks) and that's it. No pain. There is fatigue, general weakness and I must also mention an excellent appetite which is helping her recover sooner. If there was no chemo and if we could overlook fatigue and weakness one would think she only had a hangover or a flu. I think it comes down to who did the surgery and how it was done. While researching about this condition I have learned that the Whipple's can be anything from pain in the arse to you name it. My partner happens to be very very lucky thus far. If you are in Melbourne I can send you some names to your PM. Maybe you would want to consult with them? I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best!
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

HI DPC thanks for youre reply great to hear that you're partner is recovering pain free,and the offer of some names to see i am from melbourne i have other conditions that may have contributed to my recovery being as it is,I cant speak highly enough of my surgeon,he has visited me at all hours of the day and night and is very accessible before i left hospital the second time i was told it will take me 6 months to recover,I have an appointment in 3 weeks at which time I am having a ct scan to see whats happening i had chemo today and got some great news i have been very sick with chemo they did C19.9 tumour markers on me and the result was my markers are well in the normal range it is good to communicate with someone who knows what whipple is like,I wish you and youre partner well in the times ahead,please excuse grammar as i have never communicated on computer before. kj melbourne,i had complications after surgery and i can't speak
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi kj I am sure you will be able to put up with the post-surgical pain as long as everything else is within the normal range. That will give you enough energy to endure the pain, I guess. It is good to hear that the CA 19.9 marker has dropped. My partner's CA 19.9 value just before the surgery was 138 and it dropped to 42, then 41, and the last time we checked (last week) it is still at approx. the same level (44). Chemo may affect it during the treatment so we do not see the current value as an accurate predictor but it is good to keep an eye on it. Cheers
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

DPC when i had chemo yesterday the dose was reduced by 20%I have also been sick from the chemo,this latest reduction in my chemo makes a total reduction since i started chemo of 45%it was my 11treatment of chemo i have 7 treatments to go,so hang in there on the chemotherapy,my oncologist said it happens the further chemo goes,until they get the right dose for you're body it will get to improve. good luck kj
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

HI DPC thanks for youre reply great to hear that you're partner is recovering pain free,and the offer of some names to see i am from melbourne i have other conditions that may have contributed to my recovery being as it is,I cant speak highly enough of my surgeon,he has visited me at all hours of the day and night and is very accessible before i left hospital the second time i was told it will take me 6 months to recover,I have an appointment in 3 weeks at which time I am having a ct scan to see whats happening i had chemo today and got some great news i have been very sick with chemo they did C19.9 tumour markers on me and the result was my markers are well in the normal range it is good to communicate with someone who knows what whipple is like,I wish youre partner well in the times ahead,please excuse grammar as i have never communicated on computer before. kj melbourne,
0 Kudos
smiler
New Contributor

hi there I am 12 weeks on from my whipples and now feel, if anything, that the pain in my stomach is getting worse, though in every other way I am feeling better as the creon tablets are helping my digestion (eating has been a major problem for me and the one thing that got me down most was the constant nausea and discomfort). I have been told to keep taking co-codamol (which does help) but I cant help thinking that the pain should have eased by now. What are the docs saying about the pain? Is this normal after 6 months? I remember crying in pain in hospital and was told not to be such a baby and that "some mild discomfort was to be expected". I swear if Id been able, I would have slapped that doctor.
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Smiler I was very sorry to read that you still have the pain after surgery I had whipple 9 months ago and still have the pain so i know how much you are suffering,but i am disgusted that the doctor spoke like that to you,my surgeon says that it can happen after that surgery unfortunately,and my oncologist agreed.I got through 13 sessions of chemo,but i developed fluid in the lungs and couldnt finish the chemo was just getting over fatigue had a fall last week and fractured my kneecap am in a zimmerman splint fingers crossed i dont need surgery,I hope pain settles for you, best wishes hopefully in time it improves for you if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask kj
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

I didnt get through all the sessions of chemo 6 short of the 18 treatments.I got pretty crook the oncologist cancelled the rest I then had a fall and fractured kneecap I have just recovered from that,finally the fatigue has gone hooray am starting to feel good pain is still there after surgery but most days i can manage life is good kj
0 Kudos
Alee
Visitor

Hi,

Can you please share with me the type of pain that you experience? In the last week I have had 2 attacks of a feeling like I can’t move for the pain.  Both times it’s been my left hand side below the rib cage but above where the drain was.  I am taking creon daily but my BP was super high so also in BP meds 3 times a day.  I am in constant discomfort that feels like indigestion and still eating very little.  

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.