Porta-cath & thrombosis

Kathyhtak
Contributor

Porta-cath & thrombosis

I had a porta-cath inserted February this year. My last CT scan showed the catheter had migrated and I have thrombosis in the internal jugular vein. I now need to have my port removed and am on blood thinning medication to dissolve any clots. Has anyone else had a similar experience, i.e. port and IJV thrombosis? When the port went in I was in a lot of pain and had bruising for a week after (not to mention waking up mid-procedure!). Will the removal be an easier, less painful process? Has anyone had a port removed and another port inserted?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Re: Porta-cath & thrombosis

An update on my post: My porta-cath was removed a few weeks ago in a day-surgery procedure. Very simple, straight-forward and painless; local anaesthesia with something to calm me down (I was almost asleep during procedure). I'm probably not having another porta-cath inserted at this stage, as iv chemo will most likely stop soon and in the meantime my arm veins are still good. As for the thrombosis, I am on Clexane (self-injecting daily) for three months.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.