QUICK QUESTION

Not applicable

Re: QUICK QUESTION

Oh my god!! Because I have had such a large chunk of my quad muscle cut out of leg I thought my "coldness" was because I now have poor circulation (also not as mobile). I am always freezing..bedtime is the worst! I had radiation treatment for 6weeks and I was never told that this was a side-effect. I am forever putting the heater up when everyone else is wearing t-shirts. As far as the memory goes, shocking. Can get to one end of the house and forget why I am there! Depression? I am constantly wondering and self-diagnosing. I am irritable a lot of the time and very emotional. I get stressed and anxious about the smallest of things. Even fearful. Before this I was calm, self-confident, patient. I'm hoping this will improve. I do experience happiness and absolute gratitude too. exercise in even the mildest of form also seems helpful. It is so comforting to know that I am not alone.
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

Hi Ruby I don't think feeling the cold is an 'official side effect' of radiotherapy. I was just interested if others had a similar observation. As you say, we are forever putting ther heater on when everyone else is in T-shirts, except for me who has hot flushes, strips off layers to cool down, then puts them all back on again as I'm feeling the cold. Intermittent hormone therapy = going through the symptoms of menopause - yes all of them - everytime!! Six times so far! Screws your memory as well. cheers sailor But, blind or lame or sick or sound We follow that which flies before: We know the merry world is round, And we may sail for evermore. Tennyson, The Voyage
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Sailor Whilst not an official side effect it is certainly an interesting observation. Cheers Ruby
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Well Sailor, welcome to the girlie world (atleast in part!) A friend of mine calls the hot flushes "power surges". I like that term much better. S
0 Kudos
Traveller_In_Wa
Occasional Contributor

Hey All, I had chemo and radiation, and I find myself feeling the cold much much more! I even get so cold I have to wear 2 pairs of socks and leggings under my jeans. I do live down south of WA where it can get cold.... but no one else seems to feel it as bad as me. It's rather interesting though. I also found my body circulation is rather bad now. If I stand still for only a short time, especially after a shower, my legs and feel slowly turn purple. I didn't realise that a lot of other people have had these things happen after treatment. This site is such an eye opener! As to the lovely chemo brain, I was told it was like the 'baby brain' too. I also found that after chemo, I'd forget mid sentence what I was talking about, and combined with mass tiredness, I also stuttered. It was incredibly frustrating trying to get my message accross to my family or friends, then suddenly forget what we are actually talking about, or just being unable to get it out due to my stuttering. But it's getting heaps better, but I still find that when I become extremely tired, I still stutter. but only a little bit, nowhere near as bad as when I was having treatment. Has anyone else experienced that?
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

Hi Everyone Yes I have had the 'forgetting in mid sentence', but not the stuttering - yet! There are times, particularly when I get tired that I have difficulty getting words out - I know the word, I just can't get it out. Circulation doesn't appear to be a problem, I just feel the cold more. As for hot flushes being power surges - no, I actually find them quite debilitating. It really is rather good to find that side effects that you think you have other people have as well. Makes you feel a bit less weird. Cheers Sailor I think the sea has thrown itself upon me and been answered, at least in part, and I believe I am a little changed - not essentially, but changed and transubstantiated as anyone is who has asked a question and been answered. Hart Crane
0 Kudos
harker
Frequent Contributor

Hi all I haven't had a lot of radiation, but is it possible that the coldness you are commenting on might be related to weight loss? It has been wintry and cold of late (Melbourne). I lost weight during chemo treatment (winter and spring of 07) and thought something weird was happening. My oncologist said straight away it was weight loss related (less fat to ward of the cold). I think he was right in my case. I don't know about anyone else, it's just that it hasn't been mentioned in this post. So, I'm suggesting it may be worth factoring in as a consideration. H
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

Hi All I only wish it was related to weight loss! cheers Sailor The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. William Arthur Ward

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi all, this was a bit wierd for me to read cause i never had chemo as thyroid cancer responds better to alablastive radiation {iodine} im always cold,tired and always forgets everything, especially when to pick up kids from school,:-( but i wonder... is mine due to not having a thyroid, being on thyroxine??? or the depression medication im on????
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.