Question about QML Pathology & Vaccinations - not really cancer related, only indirectly.

CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

Question about QML Pathology & Vaccinations - not really cancer related, only indirectly.

OK, so, my family - we have a small nest of problems at the moment, and we're muddling through.

1) my business is travel insurance, and with the collapse of the travel industry, it's fallen over, rendering us financially a bit distressed.

2) I have cancer, and there's no guarantee of my longevity

3) we have three young sons, one with a disability.

So we're entitled to a concession and healthcare card, and are struggling through.  No worries.  Anyway with point 2, there's this unspoken concern about how to feed the kids if I die - so my wife, originally an accountant, has started re-skilling via a Diploma of Nursing.

ANYWAYS, the vocational part of the diploma requires her to provide vaccination boosters for the usual stuff pre-requisite to working in a hospital .. hepatitis, that kind of thing.

Doctor refers her, no worries.  She goes, gets the shots, no worries.  Nobody mentions cost.  She provides her healthcare concession info.  No worries.

A few days later, we get a $300 bill in the mail from QML Pathology.

It's unexpected, unbudgeted and a bit of a problem.

I'm hoping it's a mistake and are querying it with them - but in the meantime I was wondering if anybody in the community knew if adult vaccinations are typically bulk billed.  I know the flu one isn't .. or actually it is but only for eligible at risk persons at certain places ... but the regular stuff, especially if it's for student nursing .. is it normal to get a bit of a kick in the balls bill after the fact ?
Any insight would be appreciated, thanks a lot 🙂

1 REPLY 1
Lolie
Contributor

Re: Question about QML Pathology & Vaccinations - not really cancer related, only indirectly.

The short answer to your question is no.  Two of my children are nurses and they had to pay for their own vaccinations apart from the ones which are free to everyone (ADT for everyone and a few others for people in specific risk groups) or employer provided.  If I remember correctly, the cost for standard vaccinations can't even be claimed as a tax deduction.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.