Radiation and Chemotherapy

Annie
Occasional Contributor

At the same time, is or has anyone else been through this? My partner is having radiation 5 days a week and taking chemo tablets 7 days a week.... only 2 weeks into treatment and he's already getting sore skin (sorbolene) and soooooo tired....
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Annie
Occasional Contributor

and now we only have the rest of this week and 3 days next..... after that I dunno what's going to happen
0 Kudos
Quijote
Contributor

Im on a CHOP14 and Mabthera cocktail. Only cycle 1 of 6 so far, but side-effects have been minimal. Doc says that many patients are the same. Anyone else have similar experience? does it accumulate or stay the same?
0 Kudos
bev
Frequent Contributor

I had stage 2 uterine cancer last year and had 28 treatments of radiation to the pelvic area. Anyone out there with similar? Love to know how you coped and how everything is now.  
0 Kudos
jenny
Occasional Contributor

I am still suffering from the side effect of radiotheraphy mainly a very dry mouth and some difficulty in swallowing and chocking on some foods and drinks.  Any advice abou this
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jenny.  How long since the last radiation?  I completed radiation on 24/12/07 and had similar side effects, but over 5 months things have changed.  Happy to chat if you like.Mark
0 Kudos
jenny
Occasional Contributor

I completed my theraphy in july 2005 and am still having s very dry mouth at its worst when I wake up.  I amfinally starting to put on weight but I am supplementing my food with ensure I blend a lot o things but seem to have trouble with texture so I am getting very good at sucking things mainly to get the flavour.  I drink as much water as is possible. somedays I feel very down and then I try to get myself out of the house even if it is to take the dog for w a walk.  I live on my wn with my dog (sam) and having to get my own meals I find this creates a problem. If there are tips or suggestions I would be most grateful. Take care  Jenny
0 Kudos
Raven
Occasional Contributor

Hi there Jenny, As I only recently joined this forum, hopefully you're having less dry mouth problems than 2 mo. ago! My mouth would be so dry upon waking sometimes during radiation and 6 mo. following that the surface tissue would tear as I opened my mouth.  That combined with the existing lesions was really painful to deal with!  I quickly learned to keep a glass of water at bedside, taking a sip or two and swishing it about in there before ever even starting to open it up! Biotene makes some good oral moisturizing products, but you might also check with a local health food or supplement store, as there are some even better products available there too, as they're without chemical fillers, alcohol, etc. Best to you as you move through recovery.  Write if you wish; I'd be glad to be of some help if I can.
0 Kudos
ArnZo
Contributor

Hi Raven Thanks for the tip about Biotene products - are they sold at chemists or health food stores or online?  My mum in law is starting her first chemo today and we're trying to have everything on hand to pre-empt side effects, after bad reactions to radiation. The chemo nurse recommended using bicarb soda as a mouthwash/mouth cleanser as normal oral care products are too harsh. She's had great difficulty inhaling since Friday and the doc is coming out to see her this morning.  She's going to confer with the onco to see if chemo is still viable. From what people have been saying about Biotene we think we'll get some anyway, as she's had a dry mouth for ages since first bout of radiation in March. cheers Zoe
0 Kudos
ArnZo
Contributor

HI again Thanks for the tips about Biotene products - we found them at the chemists.  It is a week tomorrow since the first cycle of chemo (gemcitabine + carboplatin) and she only started getting the sore mouth yesterday. The mets in her neck are giving her a lot of grief and it is hoped that the chemo and next course of radiation (starting next thurs x 5 days straight) will get the pain under control. She linked in to the home based palliative service just over a week ago and they have been absolutely wonderful. As expected the nausea is overwhelming her, but they've had her on a syringe driver with sub-cut dosage of maxolon over 24hrs, which seems to be keeping it at bay.  She pops a zofran wafer just before eating but has still had trouble keeping anything down.  She managed to get half her brekky and most of dinner in today which is great.  She also had her first 'normal' day without any medical appts etc and watched her grandaughter (sister-in-law's daughter) win a couple of ribbons at the local equestrian gymkhana today. Was great to see a smile on her face, albeit a pain lined one. We've also come across some magic heat pads, by accident more than anything.  You get them from chemists - the brand is Hotteeze.  About $21 for a pack of 12 and you get about 10-12hrs heat from one pad.  You peel the backing off and stick them to your singlet (or on some fabric eg tea towel for using around the neck or other awkward areas) - absolutely marvellous!  The heat along with the break through meds and arthritis cream all seem to help. We saw the Nurofen heat pads and tried one of those, but they don't work as well as the Hoteeze ones.  We also tried the Elastoplast heat pad, which is a massive one about three times the size of the Hoteeze.  It is activated by capsicum/cayenne pepper and works really well!!   Great for the lower back where her large secondary met is, but not so good lying on one's back with it on, as it generates too much heat when compressed. Prior to chemo starting last Monday, she was having acupuncture twice a week, which she was getting a lot of benefit from. We're off to see My Fair Lady on Tuesday night, which she's looking forward to.  Since her respiration has worsened, she's not able to move around much without getting short of breath and having asthma-like attacks (god bless inhalers).  We've been able to loan a wheelchair from the hospital and have sold it to her as a way of getting good seats at the theatre 🐵  She's adamant that she's only staying with us again while she's having treatment and anticipates being able to look after herself again, but the lung cancer coordinator and the family think that she won't be well enough again to be on her own.  These asthma-like attacks don't have any pattern to them and have happened at all hours of the day and night, including when she's just sitting/not doing anything.  She was hospitalised last week (thankfully in the onco ward, whose nurses are just wonderful) and is very depressed about  her sudden loss of independence (it was also the same time she decided she'd have to give up work) and change in lifestyle.  The medico jury is still out on the definite cause of these breathing attacks, but they think it is the neck tumour pressing on the nerves around the windpipe... a very scary scenario for her. Better pen off and draw to a close, hope everyone had a great weekend. cheers Zoe
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.