Radiation and Chemotherapy

bev
Frequent Contributor

This could be a "stupid" question, but here goes. How long does the effect of radiation stay in your system? This time last year I was having radiation to the pelvic area, and since the that time I have been warm all the time. Like, even in winter time some nights I only had a blanket and sheet because I was feeling quite hot. I just didn't seem to get as cold as I used to. Now, is this imagination or does it happen?  
0 Kudos
Merkel
Contributor

Hi Bev, Getting over heated?.  I'm not sure if it's chemo or radiation or both, can bring on early menopause, check it out with your doctor. Merkel
0 Kudos
slipslop
Occasional Contributor

hi i had a craniotomy and starting this coming monday i am having 9 blasts of whole brain radiation. i havent a clue what to expect or what the after effects might be. can anyone enlighten me please. when i asked my oncologist he just mumbled something about a mask. thanks
0 Kudos
strong
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bev - I have just returned home after 28 sessions in Sydney. Some days are good , others I feel..... tired, preoccupied with nothing in particular. How were you? There is not a lot out there about uterine cancer, any idea why?
0 Kudos
ArnZo
Contributor

Hi slipslop You need to change radiation onco's!  My mother-in-law's first medical oncologist (the general one) was like that, only giving her little bits of info and dismissing her new pain as 'old lady bones' (which turned out to be new mets). The mask he mumbled about is one they'll make for you - which keeps your head in the right place for each radiation zap. If you're claustrophobic, you might find it difficult to deal with.  My m-i-l is, and the course of radiation to a neck met was done with tape holding her head in position each time as she couldn't deal with having a mask made.  After seeing someone in the waiting room with their mask (each one is custom made), I can understand her reluctance. Onto radiation side effects, if the onco isn't forthcoming (the onco is supposed to give  a list to you when you sign up your treatment plan), badger the reception staff or nurses for the list. Majority of people suffer the skin burning (like severe sun burning), which sorbolene cream greatly helps... but radiation to the head area brings with it possible mouth problems - burning inside the mouth and/or throat etc.  Drinking a little bit of mylanta or gaviscon before eating helps a bit... everyone's different though. Biotene products sold at the chemist are great for helping with the dry mouth symptom.  Maybe other folks who have had head radiation can post something on here.  My m-i-l also had another dose of radiation to her shoulder and to the lung area, so her trachea and oesaghagus got badly burnt each time. The big thing about radiation is that the side effects won't happen straight away, they come on a few weeks after starting radiation.  You'll be feeling fine then hit the deck like a sack of sh*t.... although a lot of people seem to sail thru radiation (hope this is you).  When she had her first lot of radiation, she was the only one with the rare side effect, whereas the other patients either had no side effects or only had the skin burning to cope with. Take care Zoe
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.