Recent breast reconstruction

MissRen
Contributor

Recent breast reconstruction

Has anyone had breast reconstruction? I had a bilateral breast reconsruction a week and a half ago and can't wait to have the last drain removed as well as all the steri strips that seem to be holding me together. How long did it take you to recover? I had my lats removed and attached to my chest cavity + expanders. I'm still not used to having anything on the chest and I'm hoping it won't feel so awkward sooner rather than later.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable

Re: Recent breast reconstruction

Hi there... I did.. I had a bilateral mastectomy in March 2008. They did the tissue expanders at the same time. I had a LOT of problems though.. I couldn't stop bleeding, they had to put me back in surgery a week later.. they had to stop the solutions after 5 sessions and even those had to be far in between as it was painful afterwards for a couple of weeks only to start again with the next injection. Then I had the implants put in Nov 2008 and had to go back for surgery 3 times in 5 weeks with the last time spending a week in isolation with a staph infection. Even though I no longer had breast tissue I could not stop bleeding. I would be fine after the surgery then usually within a couple of days would develop a hematoma. The last time I told the surgeon if I had problems again they could take them out and I would remain flat 🙂 She always asks me when I first met her when she told me the best and worst case scenario? She then would say I fit in the worse case scenario and that if anything could go wrong it would. I know it is not her care as she is in the top 3 in Canada in her field and is also the chief of surgery in one of our metro hospitals. I had my new nipples done in Aug of this year and this was the first one of my many surgeries that everything went fine. I also have Fibromyalgia and the surgeon said my late recovery comes partly from that. I went to several Hematologists to find out where the bleeding was coming from but they never found anything. I hope you recover soon. Listen to your doctor!!! And don't push yourself into being ready before you are. Listen to your body! Sally
0 Kudos
MissRen
Contributor

hi Sally. WOW that's a lot of surgery. I hope you're not experiencing any more problems. it's been 2.5 months since i had the surgery and feeling much much better. It took a month for the pain to ease and am now getting used to having breast again. I can't remember what it was like when I first got breast, I'm sure it took me a while to get used to them. I've seen the plastic surgeon once since the operation to stretch the skin and have another appoinment at the end of the month. Filling the expanders didn't hurt however that night my skin was throbbing. Are you open to seeing an alternative practitioner for the bleeding?
0 Kudos
applepie
Occasional Contributor

Hey Reena... I'm 18 years out with my recon.....expanders with saline implants...very happy with results and no complications. AP
0 Kudos
frangipani
Occasional Contributor

Hellow. I am so terrified of reconstruction. everybody says that surgeons can do remarkable things. I am 59 years old and a grandma. my husband and family want me to go ahead and do it. I feel that breast cancer came to me and i am lucky to be alive! I just want the other breast removed and to remain breastless!!! It is so natural to me. My family feels that they will be depressed seeing me like that. I used to have firm DD breasts and dont feel anything different without my right breast. I now want the left removed so I dont have to ever worry about cancer appearing again. I could wear padded bras and just change my style of clothes. easy. any comments.
0 Kudos
MissRen
Contributor

Hi Frangipani, It's been 7 months since i had the expanders put in and am due to have the implants exchange done the end of july. Leading up to the surgery I was petrified, I had been traumatised by the nurses when they took the tubes out after the bilateral mastectomy. I found it to be very painful for the first couple of months and thankfully I don't have any more pain and am very happy with the results so far. The decision to have or not have the surgery should be yours to make, it is a very big decision to have the surgery. If you know in yourself what you will be happy doing that's all that matters. Why do your family think they will be depressed? When I was diagnosed I was told the right breast had to be removed and that I would have a lumpectomy on the left. I told my surgeon that I wanted both removed. He tried to talk me out of it but I told him that I knew I would be distressed seeing no breast on the right side and a disfigured breast on the left, so he removed both. Cancer brings a different perspective and meaning to life. Sometimes it takes a while for others to see and understand what you do.
0 Kudos
applepie
Occasional Contributor

Hey frangapani I had a prophlactic mast.as you are thinking of doing and have absolutely no regrets.(and no recurrence).As I've said before I also had recon. If you don't want to do that then DON'T! It is a long process and not particularly pleasant and it has to be something that you really want to do. Tell your family thats its not about them. You're right...your health is the most important thing. You can always have recon further down the track if YOU decide thats what you want.Many ladies don't bother...my mum never did. She said it never entered her mind to have recon. Your body...your decision.I completely understand how you feel. AP
0 Kudos
frangipani
Occasional Contributor

thank you Miss Ren and applepie, this is the first time that I have spoken to "somebody" about my deep feelings. My sons feel sad about how I look and they want me to get back back to normal - I understand and respect how they feel and know what you are saying, but as a mother and wife the first thing we mums do is "keep the peace" OK i now KNOW that its my decision and something tells me to just have the other breast removed and and and.......... i dont know. I am so scared of this big decision. I have just had my first Complimentary Med appointment and will take this further. I thank you again for your time in telling me about your experiences and I thank CANCER CONNECTIONS for taking a load off my chest. PS
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hello I also am in my 50's, just had my 15 grandchild, and am 2 years cancer free. Even though my cancer was just on the right breast I made the choice to have both removed. I have a very high rate of breast cancer in my immediate family and that was an easy choice for me. I had the expanders in and then replaced with the silicone implants. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have gone that route, I would have left myself "blank". My surgeon is actually the best in her field in Canada and was amazing but I have had problems. It stresses me because I have difficulties in checking to see for any new lumps that may have appeared in my chest wall because of the implants. The choice to have my surgery was mine and mine alone. What my children or husband wanted was not a factor. As a family we discussed ALL the options but ultimately it was my choice. How old are your sons? Is that how they see you? As a breast? If it is something you do NOT want to do then be honest with them. Ask them if they are happy with the fact that you are alive. Breasts do not make a woman. If you had had uterine cancer would they be wanting you to have a new one put in? It is YOUR decision to make. Tell your family if they loved you they would support you in whatever choice you make. Making them happy but you miserable should not be a factor in this. Good luck to you!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.