Recovery and Side effects of Radiation /Chemo

kiwibud
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ladies,   I have not posted as I have been in radiation treatments and have now had 16 of the 25......    Not as bad as the chemo that's for sure but still has it's challenges.    I cant wait til I can get a break for my body and not have anything procedural going on.  Found that taking my girlfriend to the doctors with me has been a big help because she rememembers things I always forget and there is always a laundry list of stuff.  Plus it seems the doctor is paying more attention now that she is asking questions and making sure everything is getting done.   Sometimes I amjust too tired and don't feel like dealing with it.    It has been great to have this care advocate that can do some of this for me......   I wish that I had allowed this earlier on in the process. I still have so many things but they are getting fixed one at a time..  Mouth Sores.... Fever.... Urinary tract infection... Nausea and throwing up  (BEEN CLEAR FOR 3 whole days yeah)  that was the worst.    of course the diahrrhea from radiation and the sensitivity and sorness on your stomach and internal organs.   Now my feet are all swelled up and I have to have some type of lymphoma treatment to get the fluid down which will make me feel better as I'm wearing these silly white stockings you get in the hospital that squeeze your feet and legs so it looks like a sausage. Hope everyone is doing OK and I'd love to know if any of you have had this mouth problem and what you did to fix it... The main thing is my pain management is now much under control with a Fenenal patch.   Now I only have to take oral stuff once in a while instead of constantly which helps my poor beat up stomach.   WRITE SOON....   miss you all... Diane
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
benlisecca
Contributor

I found the best thing for the horrible mouth  ulcers was a mix of bicarb soda and water.  I think I used about a 1/4  of a teaspoon  in a  half  glass of water and swished every half hour.  My Rad Onc suggested it and I was skeptical but it seemed to sooth  and heal quite well and  didn't taste of much. Hope it helps Sharon
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey Diane, Great to hear from you. Was a bit worried after we didnt hear back from you. So youre half way through your radiation, well done, I had the countdown going from day 1. Have you tried going to your chemist (drug store) for your mouth ulcers? You could try an antiseptic mouth wash, they should be able to recommend one. Or sucking on ice cubes could help numb your mouth. Sounds like taking your friend with you is a good idea. Theres so much to remember all the time, and you're right about just feeling over it sometimes its so much to take in.      How is your little one going? Mine are on holidays at the moment which is great they keep me busy. But the new year start at school will be welcomed! Take care
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Sorry, forgot to say..the lymphoedema and the stockings. I know what you mean. Keeping them elevated as much as possible should  help. The best cure for me is the water. Swimming in the ocean or a pool or even keeping my feet in a bucket of water for a while every now and then helps with the swelling. Heaps of moisturiser so the skin doesnt turn dry. Gentle exercise might help to get your lymph system working a little better to help get rid of the back up in your legs. Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Check with your Doc about the mouth wash. I just read this which is a bit frightening; http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/717157/experts-warn-over-mouthwash-cancer-risk
0 Kudos
kiwibud
Occasional Contributor

Hi my aussie friends.... I have been so busy with radiation and all the side affects .....   this urinary tract infection just would NOT go away....   Now I'm DONE DONE for 2 whole weeks with no treatments and a big BREAK!!!   I have never been so happy in my life.      For some reason this radiation really hit me worse than my hard core chemo did for months.     I have had more nausea.. bowel problems.... infections ... fevers... etc......   Now that Im done I am just starting to EAT again!!!!   I have lost over 30 lbs and need to gain at least 10 back ... Plus Ive had to have that nasty shot for my hemoglobin being too low... that hurt like the DEVIL!!!    and i had to have it twice during this whole time of radiation.    Today Im just going for hydration and a bag of antibiotics for this UTI to see if we can finally get it OUT of me!! BUT I FEEL so much better and I miss talking to you all!!!!   I'm going to Disney next weekend to take my daughter for her 5th birthday.   It should be great!!!     Write and let me know how everyone is doing  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    i'M GONNA cook up a storm this weekend.. maybe a big old
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi everyone, Just dropping by quickly to see how everyone is going? Hi Sharon, Hope to chat with you some time soon.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.