Red Blood Transfusion during palliative

Tania10
Occasional Contributor

Red Blood Transfusion during palliative

Hi,

This is my first post here. 3 weeks ago my Dad was diagnosed with cancer. We have been told it is metastatic but we do not know the primary cancer as Dad’s kidneys were failing and he is too unwel for an endoscopy or colonoscopy. About a week after diagnosed Dad was told he only had 2-6 weeks left and was admitted to palliative. As you can imagine our lives have turned upside down in only 3 weeks. He hasn’t been given any chance to fight this and he is getting weaker every day. My 3 sisters, Mum and I have brought Dad home and will care for him because this is his wish.

My main question is, we are considering a Red Blood Transfer as Dads so weak.

Has anyone had one at this late stage? Did it help? 

Any advice is appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

Re: Red Blood Transfusion during palliative

Hi Tania,

I’m sorry for everything that has occurred within such a short amount of time, it must seem simply so surreal. My family decided to look after my loved one at home as well, I was the primary Carer but I wasn’t alone in providing support.

Blood transfusions will assist in the delivery of oxygen to the tissues and organs, plus it will support clotting if cuts or wounds suddenly occur. Some studies such as the PublMed.gov 2010 – 2011 have suggested that patients with advanced cancer, who received blood transfusions, lived longer than others who did not receive the same treatment. - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24935379

The hematologist suggests that research into this, regarding advanced cancer patients has not been fully explored. But it does state the following:

“For example, in one of the largest studies to date (101 patients), 78 percent of patients receiving red cell transfusions had improvement in one of their target symptoms (fatigue, breathlessness, weakness or dizziness).” https://www.hematology.org/Thehematologist/Features/8762.aspx

But blood transfusions also come with the low risk of infections as well. I suppose it comes down to quality of life and what you define that to be.

0 Kudos
Tania10
Occasional Contributor

Re: Red Blood Transfusion during palliative

Thank you so much for your reply and all the info

Greatly appreciated 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.