Steroids with Gemcitabine

Mrk
Occasional Contributor

Steroids with Gemcitabine

Can anyone who has had gemcitabene therapy for pancreatic cancer tell me if dexamethasone is "standard" anti nausea treatment along with the gem? If so what side effects have you had from it? Trying to see if I really need steroids as well as all the other drugs being used! Thanks
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Sailor
Deceased

Re: Steroids with Gemcitabine

Hi Mrk I had a quick search and dexamethazone seems to be always given with gemcitabane. It is unlikely to be as an anti-nausea agent but more likely to prevent other side effects. So tread carefully.heers Sailor
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

I was given dexamethasone with gemcitabine for pancreatic cancer i found i could not sleep I was given them in tablets form as well to take for first 2 days at home.I had it for 2 treatments but dexamethasone was changed for another anti nausea medication.I was awake allnight with dexamethasone even with taking a sleeping tablet.The nausea was bearable with the change of medication but we are all different good luck hope this helps kj
0 Kudos
oldhippy
Occasional Contributor

Hi All, the dexamethasone is a steroid, designed to further knock out your immune system so the chemo can work better. In me, they stick a lot in with the chemo, as well as anti-nausea stuff, via ports on the IV line. Looks like a plastics factory after a while. It does nothing as an anti nausea agent, thats the tablets in the bottle with the green lid. (mentally lost it here, cant remember its name - will look it up if anyone wants it.) Most notable side effect of dexamethasone is it causes muscle wastage - you dont find out until, suddenly, a flight of stairs is impossible.. you can exercise to head it off, but I didn't know that at the time. Saw a physio, he sorted it out with stretching exercises. And, eventually, it stops. So. There.Hope that helps. Andrew the oldhippy.
0 Kudos
Mrk
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the information. I am glad someone else has had trouble sleeping and it isn't just me!
0 Kudos
Not applicable

My partner had the same problem - insomnia. She opted not to take it and stopped the chemo altogether (3/18) and I must say she is doing great. When she was on it she was a wreck.
0 Kudos
Deb1960
Occasional Contributor

I got the doctor to halve my Dex dose, very high blood sugar levels caused by it were making me very unwell, the insomnia did stop after about cycle 4
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.