The lighter side of chemotherapy

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

The lighter side of chemotherapy

Hi folks

I discovered a positive outcome of chemotherapy. You know... besides the whole killing cancer cells and increasing one's longevity.

Whistling!

I received my third cycle of Oxaliplatin yesterday afternoon. I'm not even going to bitch about how bad it's made me feel. They've all been trumped by my new discovery.

I was whistling to my dog. Since I can't physically touch her because of cyto toxins and impacted immune system. Since dogs are critical to the healing process, I have to interact somehow.

20190621_201432.jpg

So I whistled Jealous Guy by John Lennon (my favourite song). Since the chemo destroys my singing voice, whistling seemed a good option. Not that I'm a bitching about it.

Okay... this might sound bitchy too, but I'll keep it to a dull roar. I get some twitching nerves from Oxaliplatin. In my fingers, jaw, eyes, even my tongue. I even get the hiccups a lot. But most significantly, my lips. It's like uncontollably shivering when I'm not cold.

So what happens when you whistle with uncontrollable quivering lips. You get a natural vibrato in your tune. 

So out of all the crappy side effects I'm feeling, this one has turned my day around. So... my advice. If you are feeling the chemo blues, give a little whistle. Even if you don't have a dog.

Peace out!

Phil

6 REPLIES 6
David50
New Contributor

Re: The lighter side of chemotherapy

Hi.

It is good to hear someone find a way to try beat the chemo blues and also keep up the sense of humour.

I hope all works out for you.

Best wishes and take care.

0 Kudos
Vanessa1
Occasional Contributor

At least you’re getting something good out of it ! I have 3 dogs and was not told that I cannot touch them. I have ovarian cancer and start chemo tomorrow, Friday September 27th and I’m very nervous because I don’t know what is waiting for me.
0 Kudos
PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Vanessa 

It won't get any easy. Different chemo for different cancers. Then the ones that are the same chemo to cancer impact people differently. So far, all of my cycles have been different.

Be sure of this. Chemo sucks balls. I have four dogs and the all want to cuddle. Tough situation but doesn't stop you loving them.

Chin up. Ride the rollercoaster. If you are worried about the side effects you are feeling, contact the chemo unit and ask for advise. As I found out last cycle, you can reach your limit before the end of cycle. If in doubt, it doesn't hurt to ask if you need help.

And don't forget to share your experience with others so can read about how brave you were.

20190801_233019.jpg

 Lucy and Sally. My pumpkin and my princess.

0 Kudos
Vanessa1
Occasional Contributor

So cute fur babies, I have 3 dogs and never told that I cannot cuddle, I did ask at chemo class and they said that it was not an issue.
0 Kudos
PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Vanessa

Charlie is our rescue dog.

20190928_122634.jpg

Mostly albino Kelpie with a pitch of blue dog. Don't ya just love that bent ear.

Like me as a chemo patient, he is sensitive to light too. 

When my immune system is down I have to be careful of infection. And because I am cyto toxic from chemo, I don't want them licking my sweat or anything like that. My Cavaliers are old and I don't want to make them sick. I wear latex gloves and put gardening gloves on over top if I'm in the garden or touching anything likely to be high with bacteria. And guess what! The dogs love a scratch with the gloves on. And because it's rare when it happens, they really indulge. It gets so sad when they sit at my feet and look up at me with those big brown eyes. It won't be long. Another 5 weeks and I can touch them again.

Ciao

0 Kudos
Vanessa1
Occasional Contributor

Ohhh sooo cute ❣️ I hope you get through this, I’m lucky I can pet my 3 rescue fur babies. Hope those 5 weeks fly by fast so that you can finally cuddle your fur babies. Take care.
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.