Thirty something with breast cancer

cuartasc
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,I m 31 years old recently diagnosed with Invasive Ductal carcinoma. I had my surgery last week- a partial masectomy and I am waiting to get results from my sentinel node biopsy to get a treatment plan in action. My partner has been amazing, but I know he is suffering very much. I have encouraged him to call up the support line but he is hesitant. Young people dealing with this kind of stuff is just weird. Any one that has any advice. i'd love to hear from you.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
admin_one
Contributor

Hi Cuartasc, There are a number of telephone support groups offered by the cancer council that might be of interest for your partner including the carers group. They get together every two weeks and they talk about they are all going through.  It definitely seems to help. Most groups also have a godo number of men if in case that makes him feel better. Maybe have a look at this link that has all the information on that group.you can also call the helpline directly on 13 11 20 for a whole list of services available for carers to see if there is something else you might identify as helpful. Carersnsw is alfo a good source of info.Maybe just getting him to look around this website on the carers forum http://tinyurl.com/6jty7l He might feel identify with some of the discussions and decide to register later to talk more. Hope you find this helpful. Feel free to ask moer questions if you need more info.Best wishes,Raul
0 Kudos
jules_jp
Contributor

I am sorry that you have to go through this. The Cancer Council in some areas has a monthly soiree for young women which I find helpful. There are also carer support groups as part of the hospital where you will be treated. About being younger - you are more likely to recover from treatment more quickly. However, I found with radiation, the time spent in the waiting room made me anxious. I buried my head in a book/magazine because most of the people were elderly (I am 35). I hope you don't need to have chemo.
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

Re: Thirty something with breast cancer

Hi Cuartasc, Yes I agree with you that 'Young people dealing with this kind of stuff is just weird'... I was 28 when diganosed with cancer and am now 7 years post diagnosis. Its been a long journey of trying to find where a young person like myself is supposed to fit in the cancer world that seems to be set up for either very young children or much older adults. This 7 year journey has taken me through a degree at uni to research the effects of cancer and young adults, where i completed a study last year and the Cancer Council came on board to support me. The Young Adults section on this new website is a result of my study and wanting to help other young adults out there going through cancer. You will see this Young Adult section grow over the next few months and I hope that you will find some great connections with others here and some info and much needed support also. As a fellow Young Adult with Cancer (YAC), I want to let you know you can chat anytime to me and others, in the hope that this may help your feel like you fit in the world of cancer with some like minded buddies Nikki 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.