Throat cancer

Annie_E
Not applicable

Throat cancer

Three weeks ago I underwent 16hrs of surgey for removal of tumour and reconstruction using flap grafts from my arm.  I am awaiting radiation treatment in two weeks time.  I have lost a lot of weight and am now learning to speak and swallow.  I'm finding eating painstaking and slow.  The fluids come back through my nose and food other than jelly, yoghurt or soup is difficult to swallow.  Would anyone else who has been through this who may have ideas for making it easier please reply, I feel a little out on a limb here.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
ArnZo
Contributor

Throat cancer

Hi Annie You must be in a terrible amount of pain, let alone the enormity of coping with it all. I hope they were able to remove all the nasties and you've got a good road ahead of you? I'll ask my hubby when I get home what his Dad was able to keep down - he had radical surgery  for the throat cancer then chemo etc pretty much straight after, so he was in a world of hurt. I remember at the time his mum telling me what she had success with (about 6yrs ago, just before I met hubby) but my memory is AWOL, so best to get it from the horse's mouth. Take care and hope your recovery is progressing well. Zoe
0 Kudos
Merkel
Contributor

Throat cancer

Hi Annie, I've just read your post, sorry your going through a terrible time at the moment. I can't give you any advice on your condition. I do hope and pray that things will improve for you soon. Take care, Merkel
0 Kudos
Gabe
Occasional Contributor

Throat cancer

Hi Annie, You will also find some information on the "Head and Neck" Forum. This is part of what I have posted; ********* I am a 56 year old female living in Sydney who has had surgery for Oral Cancer in September 2006. Here is my profile on the OCF site  Leukoplakia biopsy dx 8/2006 SCC floor of mouth- x-smoker-Stage 111 T3N0M0. Verrucous Carcinoma. 14 hour 0p-right neck dissection/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, free flap, no chemo/rad -trachy 6 days. 5 ops under general-flap issues last 18mths. Last op. 4/08. Next end 08.  If anyone wants to know more please let me know and I will check in every now and again to to see if there is a response to my post.  Cheers  Gabe  
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.