Thyroid cancer with large poorly differentiated papillary carcinoma on my left neck

John58
New Contributor

Thyroid cancer with large poorly differentiated papillary carcinoma on my left neck

Hi, after a 4 week bout of scratchy voice last September I finally went to my GP who wanting to be thorough ordered CT scans of sinuses and chest. Long story short I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer and a 

T4N1B M1 Poorly differentiated papillary carcinoma on there left neck which has spread to my lungs and described as "innumerable spots" with the largest being 20.6mm x 18mm. December 20 saw a 10hr op which removed my thyroid and the poorly differentiated sucker in my neck. 30 days of heavy duty radiation therapy, then followed by radiative iodine which was to have cleaned out the thyroid cancer in my lungs. This failed and it turns out that the lung lesions are related to the poorly differentiated carcinoma and would not respond to RAI so... I'm now on a targeted chemo drug called Lenvatinib (24mg) which has side effects that have turned my previously healing lacerated throat back into the fires of hell... 🥴

I've been on this drug 5 weeks now and will have my next CT in about 10 days time and this will hopefully show no further growth or hopefully a reduction in the size of lesions.

Phew!!! Does anyone out there have any experiences similar to mine?  

Cheers John

Brisbane

Being treated at RB&WH under Dr Brett Hughes

1 REPLY 1
Mel83
Frequent Visitor

Re: Thyroid cancer with large poorly differentiated papillary carcinoma on my left neck

Hi John,
I have tried to message you however it won't allow me to use messages for some reason. Would you like to email me at mmd2706@gmail.com as my husband went through this.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.