Treatment of returned Prostate Cancer

Dave_S
Occasional Contributor

Treatment of returned Prostate Cancer

Hello:  I have stepped down from the higher level of terminal Prostate Cancer in the  post "Cancer Strikes Again"  (Facing End of Life).

After 9 months of hormone therapy by injected implants of Zoladex every 12 weeks, my PSA has fallen from 107 down to 0.59.  With the result that the cancer mass that was diagnosed where the Prostate Gland was removed in 2000 is now under control and the multiple cancer nodes on my spinal column, ribs and pelvis have all been blocked.  This has been diagnosed by disclosure scans  of new calcium growth on the affected bones.  I will continue my story here with how it has affected me personally and medically in follow up posts.

5 REPLIES 5
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Treatment of returned Prostate Cancer

It's great to know you're so doing well @Dave_S Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Pedro
Occasional Contributor

Gidday Dave.

Good to hear your positive news mate.

I have had similar Zoladex implants treatment for a year and was told I would have a break until my psa rose to 10 again.

Also told to exercise which is hard with weakness, nausea and various pain which could be age or old footy injuries though I was told I had cancer in groin, rib, nymph nodes.

Also told to increase calcium and vitamin D.

So that is where I am at.

Best wishes Dave and fellow p c chaps.

Pedro

Had prostatectomy in 2008.

0 Kudos
Dave_S
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your comments Pedro.  Keeping a positive and open mind and above all having faith are all part of the mix for a successful result, together witha good healthy diet and balanced intake of essential vitamins. 

I am in my 85th year, so physically I been having age issues as well.  The Zoladex is an excellent drug but it has knocked me around a bit especially with the side effects of hot flushes and depression issues, these have been exacerbated due to Gliosis of the frontal lobes of the brain following five craniotomies due to tumors (meningioma) and osteomyalitis bone damage of the skull. These issues go back 30 years and have been on DSP (Disabillity Support Pension) since I was 54. 

I am looking forward to a more stable 2019. My Oncologist has put me on a 4 monthly visit roster now so my next pathology and review will probably be in May. 

0 Kudos
ZOL
Occasional Contributor

Re: Zoladex hot flashed & depression:

- I have used a refrigeratable collar which I used at the onset of a hot flash which has worked well

-Perhaps you could consider ACT (acceptance & commitment theraphy) which as a pensioner is available to you for minimal cost. The idea is that it assits you to accept the status quo and, through a series of small

activities, assists you to feel a sense of acomplishment . Seemingly miniscule changes in behaviour have an accumulative effect and empowers one over time to get back to self-empowerment.

Russ Harris has written a book on this entitled "ACT made Simple" which is available ex Amazon.com.

0 Kudos
Dave_S
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Zol for suggestions.  If you have read my earlier posts in "Cancer Strikes Again", and looked at my web page, you will see that I am no newcomer to medical issues. Throughout my life I have always been a fighter against adversity, be it medical, mental or financial.

By having my faith and maintained a very positive attitude, even under the worst circumstances I have survived and maintained my goals.  One of my problems is that I am unable to retire gracefully and accept my age, so much so at present I am laid low with back and thigh muscle strain after moving some rather heavy furniture on my own instead of using  a "fork lift" or calling upon my neighbors for assistance.  Aaah! such is life when you are living on your own and try to be too independent. 

Overall I have accepted my lot and feel I have succeeded in overcoming all my issues.  There is just one thing I cannot recover and that is my long past youth.  Thank goodness for pain relieving medication which relieves my crazy excursions beyond my physical boundaries 🙂 

Dave

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.