Triple Negative Breastcancer

Barbe
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone, my first post here and if it seems like I am not making any sense, it is because I have had chemo a couple of days ago, and most of you know what that does to the brain!     I have also copied this post to the
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Krys
New Contributor

Hi there, I am new to this board. I have recently been diagosed with triple negative breast cancer and will start chemo soon. Had a mastectomy 3 weeks ago. Large sites, some lymph node involvement. Still seeing the surgeon but have a referral to the oncologist in 7 days(but who is counting!) Struggling woth all the waiting for the next step, reviews, scans, next referral appointment. Have bleak down days then pull myself out and get on with life - kids, work etc. I have lerned so much about breast cnacer in the last 2 months and I am better if I know the maximum- I can then deal with it emotionally. Anyway this is just the befgining of my new normal life. Love to hear from others and how they cope. Krys There is a great site for us triple negs - www.tnbcfoundation.org and I have found it a truly amazing source of information about treatmetn etc. The level of support is heartening, from all over the world.
0 Kudos
Barbe
Occasional Contributor

Hi Krys thanks for those updates, was starting to think i was the only triple neg around! I have now finished treatment and had my last round of chemo last August. My energy levels are getting back to normal - joined the gym again to just do some light exercise, i'm not pushing myself too hard. Had some good news this week, I had some genetic testing done for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene, and I just got the results back. There are no mutations in those genes, so that was a very positive outcome. It worries me, there are no "after treatments" for our type of cancer, and I am considering a prophylactic mastectomy. I feel like I need to take some control, you know? Anyway, stay strong throughout your chemo, it will be over before you know it. The only advise I can give you, take one step at the time. Live from one stage to the next, it seems easier to cope that way. Other tips: Lemon barley cordial, Lipton Lemon Ice tea, minties to chew on. Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream for dry skin. My full "C" history is in my profile. Good luck, take care Barbe x
0 Kudos
applepie
Occasional Contributor

Hi Barb... I am not triple neg but I felt sorry that you are getting very little response here. There are lots of triple negs on www.bcaus.org.au It is an Australian breast cancer forum and chat...very active and busy. I have seen the girls there talking about an American triple-neg forum and I guess that is the one Krys mentioned. It is supposed to be very good also. BTW..love the pink hair............! AP
0 Kudos
milly
Not applicable

hi my sister in law has just had her breast off p[lus several lymph glands  she has said it is grade 3 and need to have 6 months of high dosage chemo   looking for ways to support her through chemo and beyond
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Hey Milli, Good to "see" you in the forums. I am raul and I am the new website facilitator. Did you have some initial ideas about ways to support your sister in law?. Maybe if you let us know more about how you thought you could support her some people can come up with their experiences that could also work for you. Does anyone have any idea? Look forward to hearing from you, Raul  
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Barbe, I know of women who have been on herceptin and developed a new primary breast cancer which is also HER2 positive so the cancer has grown whilst the woman is on herceptin! So there is no real answer to your first question. I also know of a number of women who have developed new primary breast cancers in the same breast which have been completely different to their original diagnosis.   cheers
0 Kudos
Barbe
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply Stephanie. Had a long chat with my oncologist and seeing a genetic councillor this month. B xo
0 Kudos
Krys
New Contributor

I have now started my chemo and I am Ok so far. Not much nausea. Just a bit tired. Having done a lot of research on triple negative BC, there are some positives. It is my version of the research and I am happy to send the original articles etc. More info the better to keep my anxiety down and there are a lot ofmyths out there as well as old research. This tpye of cancer has only been separatey identified and resarched intensivley in the last number of years. While it is quite aggressive and fast growing, the drugs also have a very good effect because the drugs target the most fast growing. They have a bit less effect on the other slower types of breast cancer. If the cancer does grow in a distant site likely to do so in the first 3 years. If it does not, then the chances of ot growing in distant sites is very low, in fact lower than for other cancers, and tends to stay that way in genereal which is different to the other types.So, the chemo should knock off as many of those sneaky cells so the first 3 years remain clear.  
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Hi everyone,I found this interesting article on how women take charge of breast cancer in different ways. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/123359.php Take care,Raul
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.