We're already aware of it, but CHEMO SUCKS!!

bleh
Contributor

Re: We're already aware of it, but CHEMO SUCKS!!

That's an awesome idea! If I had enough hair left I'd steal your idea and do it myself!! Aah insomnia the night before treatment... at least it's entertaining!!!! Take Care Joanna xo
0 Kudos
Teacher_Mum
Contributor

He he 🙂 if I walked into the classroom with a daffodil painted at the back of my head I think the Headmaster would have a fit and keel over he he 🙂 Hope you get to sleep comfortably at least Joanna - thinking of you tonight. Teach
0 Kudos
CATS
Contributor

Hi guys - Joanna you tell everyone to stay positive and you seem so happy. You really are an inspiration despite what you are going through thankyou for being such a lovely person. Yep I had chemo on Tuesday - the worst I have ever had - had to stay at my sister's on Tues night because she was so worried aaaagh I hate making people worry ANYWAY I AM FEELING GOOD TODAY thank God. I have to get it around my teensie brain that it is the chemo making me sick but also making me better yeah!!! I'm not sure if it was you who asked about the anti-nausea tablets - think it was - the strong ones are Maxolin (had one on Tues during chemo) worked very very quickly - did not vomit. The new tabs my Oncologist prescribed are Domperidone - yes we had a laugh over that one. Haven't tried them yet - fortunately - I'm not a vomiter, just feel incredibly nauseaus at times - he said these should settle that feeling down. I really think a bottle of Dom would make me feel better - but I am not allowed to think pleasant thoughts of alcohol damn!!! Please take care of yourself Joanna and I hope the chemo went well and scans and everything. meeow xxooxx
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Joanna, My mum is currently in the middle of chemo as well and has the worlds worst veins. She got an infection from the portacath they put in and it had to be removed and she was on iv anitbiotics for 2 weeks in hospital before they finally put a picc line in and she could go home to finish the drgus. Before the picc line every blood test was a nightmare, minimum attempts to get the blood was 5, the iv live would last only 2 days instead of 3 before the vein tried to stop - now it's much easier. They managed to get the picc line in (6 attempts) and now everything, including chemo is done through it. When not in use it's covered and basically out of the way. And no more bruises!!! Some redness from the clear dressing stuck over it but much better than the iv they had to put in her foot because of not being able to get a vein anywhere else (she also can't have anything done to one arm due to the lymph nodes being removed) And seriously - rant away! You are allowed and entitled! Mum has chemo brain as well 🙂 I just got off the phone to her and she remembered at the end of the call she hadn't processed the pays for tomorrow... An hour late so her work will have to wait - I told her to tell anyone that dares to complain they can swap places with her! I hope it wasn't too bad. Kylie
0 Kudos
bleh
Contributor

Hi Kylie, Sounds like your mum and I have the same problem with our dodgy veins! I HATE having to go to get blood taken - you know there are going to be problems, but when it's a new person they wont listen to you and assure you that they will have no trouble whatsoever finding a vein....then 15 minutes and 5 goes later they realise that they should have listened to you in the first place and tried the vein that you yourself suggested! I'm seriously thinking about the PICC line now. I was afraid about the whole infection thing associated with portacaths, but I was also afraid that my 1 year old would pull out the PICC line. It sounds like it's tucked out of the way when not in use, so when I go in tomorrow for chemo and radiation (I've just been diagnosed with non hodgkins lympoma as well - geez I've got the best luck!), I'm going to see if they will put one in. From memory they just use a local for a PICC line, but a general anesthetic for a portacath, is that correct? Well, I'm over my surgery, have my bad ovary gone, bad lymphnodes in my groin gone, but also have been told that my remaining ovary also has cancerous cells that while in early stages are extremely aggressive - hence the radiation therapy tomorrow, as well as for the lymphoma. Hopefully tomorrow won't be too brutal - but I'm certainly preparing myself for it! Take Care everyone, and best wishes, Joanna xo
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Joanna, You have so much to deal with. The picc line is done with a local and is no big deal. I had mine in for 6 months with no effects except a little skin irrtitation. Much easier than poking and prodding for dodgy veins. My thoughts are with you with are you are dealing with at the moment. Lots of hugs. S
0 Kudos
bleh
Contributor

The funniest thing about Domperidone (apart from the name), is that it's actually used to help women who have lactation problems after they have their babies - I was on it for 3 months to try and help my supply - but as it turned out I was 'Lactationally Challenged'! So my GP tried me on it, but he also mentioned that it can reduce the effects of any pain killers you may be on. So I went back to the Zofran. Honestly - it's a wonder drug. It just annoys me so much that they don't put it on the PBS and you have to get a special authority script to get it at the cheap price - how can drug companies live with themselves knowing they're making money off sick people? I honestly believe that that is why there is no cure for cancer yet - too much money is made out of it. Totally agree with you on the alcohol thing - a frozen maragrita would be sooooo good right now. SUCKY! 😞
0 Kudos
Teacher_Mum
Contributor

Its good to hear from you Jo! 🙂 xxxx Breast Cancer goodies bag 🙂 well consolation prize - uterus, well I can only think about what sort of stuff they would put in that bag he he 🙂 Teach
0 Kudos
postiesgirl
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys, Thanks for our interesting & funny posts, I am suffering from chemo brain too, I can only do things first thing in the morning before I lose it, I normally do a fine embroidery called Hardanger and I am making such a mess of my current piece I could cry.At least I can still knit in the afternoons. I have shaved my head too as they shaved half of it when they took out the brain tumour, my daughter shaved hers with me and raised a heap of money for the RFDS as we have used them twice this year. Sadley as it is regrowing it is all grey so when it has some lenght I will be a grey old lady at 54.
0 Kudos
leanne3561
New Contributor

Hi all...new member, first time posting...For want of a better word I'm 'enjoying' reading all your comments they make me feel 'cancer normal' to know the side effects I'm going through are similar to what everyone else is experiencing. I myself would rather not take the anti-nausa tablets as they make me feel like a 'space cadet' the feeling of not being in control is horrible, I never have been a good tablet taker. As for the 'Goodie Bag' I have grown to hate the colour pink! I also had my head shaved a while ago, and at the moment it looks like a fuzzy (white) peach, but this too is teasing me as when I remove my headcover, off comes this new regrowth - oh well I quite like the feeling of the shower running on my head!..Looking forward to more feedback...Take care all...Leanne
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.