We're already aware of it, but CHEMO SUCKS!!

CATS
Contributor

Re: We're already aware of it, but CHEMO SUCKS!!

I am going to have a grizzle - I have spent 90% of today on the toilet, I have the most agonising cramps in both upper and lower stomach. I haven't eaten because nothing appeals to me and I just feel sick.I was dehydrated so I forced down damn fluids I didn't want - and off to the toilet again!! I was told to drink 2-3 litres of fluid a day to flush out kidneys - Most days I come close but today has been very poor. I am sick and tired of these damned side effects and I have found myself getting a little depressed - when is it going to end - I am sick of being sick.Sorry I know I am not alone and there are people suffering more than me and not only with cancer. I have taken 5 imodium for diarreah some useless anti nausea tablet, a buscopan for the cramps - great help - not! and 4 panadols. Now the damn toilet again!! A friend of mine mentioned Lomotil for diahrrea has any one taken that and is it any good and also maxolin for nausea - not vomiting, just sick - any good. thanks Well happiness signing off for now!!
0 Kudos
bleh
Contributor

Good on you for having a grizzle - you deserve it. I know there's something called Imodium Advanced, also something called Bispectin - which I have been using, it works for both nausea and diarreah. IS it hasn't already been suggested, maybe you should try drinking some hydralite or gastrolyte to keep hydrated - I know one of those brands come in iceblocks - I've found that eating iceblocks and sorbet actually settles my tummy right down...so does drinking frozen drinks like frozen coke or frozen raspberry etc. Hopefully some of these ideas are helpful?!! Hoping that you start feeling better soon - I know it sucks big time and Cancer sucks more than anything else. Take Care, Hang in there, Joanna xo Oh, and everyone ..... I SHAVED MY HAIR OFF! Yes, I got the guts up to do it - well, my boyfriend did. Maybe I already told you all this... stupid stupid chemo brain. :')
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Hi girls, My heart goes out to you guys dealing with all of this. Maxolon did help me with the nausea and lomotil is similar to Immodium but I thnk Immodium is stronger. That doesn't help much does it. I remember sitting down one Sunday afternoon at about the 9th or 10th round(of 12) claiming that I couldn't keep going. I cried and cried and my husband sat me down and went through the whole speech of having got this far etc. I kept going. I think the cruncher was that with my chemo brain, I lost my mobile phone and just went to pieces - not that it was so important, just that it was something else I then had to deal with. HAng in there and maybe give yourself a treat on a day that you are feeling a little better. S
0 Kudos
CATS
Contributor

Joanna and Samex thankyou both - I see the oncologist tomorrow- whooppee- so I will ask him about the lovely variety of tablets you have both suggested. What will I have now mmm - that looks nice - pretty white, no the yellow one looks nice too - decisions decisions. Thanks Joanna I love the sound of frozen raspberry - started salivating when I read that! Going to get some raspberry cordial and make ice blocks. Today I am feeling better- I get the really really horrible chemo effects up to 4 or 5 days before I start my next cycle - as though my body is crying out for more - very strange. Then after the drip I'm psycho due to the steroids then come good about Thursday or Friday then stay semi ok until I finish my oral chemo then back to the rats brain and pain and paranoid thoughts and behaviour - oh I am such a joy to be with - OH do NOT forget the worst of it DIARREAH!!!!! Thanks again to you lovely ladies - and Joanna - good on you for being brave and shaving your head - I attacked mine 2 weeks ago then had it cut REALLY short at hairdressers- so it won't be to much of a shock when it finally falls out or I shave it. BYEE xxoo
0 Kudos
larn75
Contributor

Is the strong anti-nausea drug called navoban? The name springs to mind when you mention nausea as one of the drugs I had to make sure T took on his oxali days. Alana xxx
0 Kudos
bleh
Contributor

The strongest I've heard of is Ondansetron, or Zofran. The bad part is they give you it via IV while you're having chemo, then send you home with stupid wafter type things that do NOTHiNG! (did I already say this? If so, I apologise!!) So, tomorrow I have my 5th lot of chemo, plus a full body scan, plus an increase in the doses of Doxorubicin and Taxol. I had my blood test done yesterday to check my blood counts, to be sure chemo could go ahead, my white cell count is only borderline, but apparently my 'cancer markers' are up, while they should be down. I have no idea what this means- can anyone shed some light on the subject? As I sit here all nervous about tomorrow, I thought to myself 'I'll just book in a pedicure while I'm getting chemo done this week - that will take my mind off it!) and then they said "No, we're putting you in isolation for this one, so NO pedicure for you this week! So now I'm trying to think of things I can do to keep my mind off things. It's so stressful as I'm sure you can all understand. I HATE the day before chemo - nothing you can do to take your mind of things seems to work! Take Care, Stay Positive, Joanna xo
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey Joanna I would suggest you get a pen and paper and write all these questions down and then put it in your bag to take to the doctor when you go for chemo next. You can at least ask the nurses and they will point you in the right direction if necessary. You could always take some favourite music or mags or even a book with you when you have your chemo. Some people like to meditate when they are having chemo. I was in hospital for 3 days every time i had chemo so i used to make sure i had my chemo blanket, which was sent to me from america and was very bright and cheerful. Mind you i used to sleep mostly when i had the chemo so i suppose in hindsight it didnt really matter. lol Good luck with everything and hoping you arent feeling too gross. Julie xo
0 Kudos
Teacher_Mum
Contributor

Hi Babe, And I call you a babe because you are one 🙂 Chemo does suck- Methotrexate shots in my spine was my lot in life and when a 'non chemo nurse does it with a non chemo needle' now that sucks. You know what 🙂 I'm shaving my hair off 🙂 I didnt lose it (my hair that is) - I am doing the World's Greatest Shave 🙂 For Jules, for you, and for everyone here who has been on the cancer journey. As for chemo brain, yep!! I hear you loud and clear and at 33, I already feel brain dead he he 🙂 well ok not THAT bad, but I don't have the 'quick as a whip' response I used to have. I had to have a hyster and now could have early menopause even tho my ovaries are still intact but may have PCOS (Poly cystic ovarian syndrome) so yep there too!! 🙂 Hang in there, you are a beautiful soul inspiring so many 🙂 Keep on going xxxxx
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Well talk about brain dead ... i just spoke to a fly, does that count? lol I sprayed it and then told it "sucked in" hahahaha ohhhhh i am blaming that one on the chemo or maybe the radio or it could have been that mouse stuff they gave me. :D Julie
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Oh, oh, oh, Teach are we allowed to place requests???? Just thinking here bout my hair and losing it ... i could just get it done really short and have a daffodil dyed into it at the back ... now that might work 😄
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.