Your experience with Keytruda / Pembro? Nervous.

WithBatedBreath
New Contributor

Your experience with Keytruda / Pembro? Nervous.

Early last year I was diagnosed with stage 3 uterine cancer, and immediately began chemo and radiation treatments. Immediate side effects included "unimportant" things like weight loss (i was overweight) and hair loss. Side effects that showed up later, however, were way more serious. Low blood counts that landed me in the hospital and caused cardiac arrest and an irreparable fistula between my colon and vaginal canal, to name a few.

Mid summer of last year, after treatments were complete. I was declared to be in remission. Early this year, the cancer was back and had spread slightly,  I still have to keep a close eye on my blood counts and occasionally have to have blood transfusions.

Between that and a few other reasons, my care team and I have decided to forgo another round of radiation, and have been looking toward clinical trials. Thanks to COVID, new trials have been brought to a halt for I don't know how long, and I have been going without any traditional treatment for months.

In the mean time, I have been taking Panacur four days a week and a CBD oil and turmeric regimin daily on the suggestion of a friend-of-a-friend who had luck with it halting and reversing the spread of her tumor. I am aware that it could all be snake oil, but currently I feel fine. I have more energy than I've had in a while. No harm, no foul, right?

I have a CT scan coming up shortly, and then I will know where I stand as far as my cancer goes, The next step in traditional treatment would be doing a round of Keytruda (Pembro). I am terrified to try this avenue, because many of the possible side effects listed for Keytruda are the same as side effects i've already had from previous treatment, from minimal to severe.

Has anyone tried Keytruda? What has your experience with it been like?

Thank you ❤️

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.