is return of fatigue normal?

Chery
Occasional Contributor

is return of fatigue normal?

hi I finished treatment (chemo and radiation) for stomach cancer in August 2010. I went through several months of extreme fatigue but since December have been felling almost normal until approximately 2 weeks ago. My fatigue has come back and it seems to be worse than ever. I dont want a scan because I am due to go on holiday in 3 weeks and dont want anything to ruin it (doctor has said I cant have anymore treatment anyhow). Wonder if this is normal for fatigue to return due to the treatment(without the cancer returning) after a few months of feeling well. Has anyone else experience this? cheers Chery
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Sailor
Deceased

Re: is return of fatigue normal?

G'day Chery Unfortunately fatigue becomes part of life - we all get it and we all manage it. Studies have been done showing that fatigue can go on for years. Real fatigue not just tiredness. Hitting the brick wall type fatigue. You need to learn to pace yourself. Busy day followed by an easy day. When you hit the wall, or as a friend of mine put it - head in fog, feet in treacle - you need to find somewhere to have some time out. It has been nearly ten years since my last really heavy radiotherapy but IU still hit the wall every now and then. So what you are experiencing is normal. Cheers Sailor I realize that the old salt’s of tomorrow, start out as the beginners of today. John Jack
0 Kudos
Chery
Occasional Contributor

Hi John Jack Thank you so much for your reply. You do not realise how much hearing this has relieved me. I understood that fatigue can go on for years as I was warned about this. It's just that I felt normal for almost 3 months so thought it was over and yes it is the hitting the wall fatigue is what I am experiencing. The timing is lousy though although its never a good time to be this fatigued. thank you again cheers Chery
0 Kudos
Ally3
Occasional Contributor

Hi, The fatigue is so my 'new normal' as are the joint aches and pains. I too found this site by accident after I finished all my treatments. I wonder why nobody told me about it - especially my psych who encourages me to talk to other people?! Good luck, have a great trip and worry later. Yes it is possible to put the worry off I did it at Christmas- went away and had the best one ever. Ally
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.