mastectomy recovery

inrspirit
Occasional Contributor

mastectomy recovery

hi all, I have had a mastectomy with lymph nodes removed a couple of weeks ago because of breast cancer and it seems like it is taking a long time until I get movement from my shoulder again. I have been doing the exercises the physio gave me the day after surgery but I still seem to be getting a lot of pain when I do them. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get back the normal range of movement again?
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
margc
Occasional Contributor

Re: mastectomy recovery

HI HOW YOU FAIRING TODAY, I HAD LUMPECTOMY AND ALL LYMPHNODES OUT SEPT,09 THEN MASTECTOMY OCT'09 AND STILL STRUGGLE TO GET FULL MOVEMENT WITH MY ARM SOME DAYS BETTER THAN OTHERS, I THINK YOU HAVE TO ALWAYS WORK AT THE PHYSIO OR YOU TAKE A BACKWARD STEP AND START STIFFENING UP. DO YOU HAVE ANY NUMBNESS? I HAVE UNDERARM AND BREASTNUMBNESS STILL (WHICH WORKED OUT WELL DURING RADATION TATTOOING, AS IT DIDNT HURT TO MUCH, THERE IS ALWAYS AN UPSIDE TO EVERYTHING)HOPE ALL GOESS WELL FOR YOU, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. LOVE MARGC
0 Kudos
applepie
Occasional Contributor

It does take some time to get full movement back but things do return to normal.You just have to follow the advice of your medical team and whilst its important to do what the physio says...also try not to over do things. Some ppl try to just carry on as before...lifting, gardening etc and then develop other problems. I eventually got feeling back under my aem (after some years) but still have numbness on the actual breasts though some (slight) feeling hads returned. Hope you both do well. AP
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya ... I had my lymph glands removed 21 years ago and still have numbness in my right shoulder blade area. Kind of handy when they want to give me ouchy needles cos i suggest they try that one. haha It took quite a while to get normal movement back and have been advised i need to keep it active to prevent a frozen shoulder from occuring. I think i have a bit of arthiritis in that shoulder now - not suprising i guess. Mine got back to full movement during a game of basketball (i forgot about it and automatically went for the long break and this girl could really throw a ball!), not a recommended way to do it as it hurt like heck. Hope things are improving for you. Julie
0 Kudos
applepie
Occasional Contributor

Hy Jules....sounds like you're doing really well.....21 years...legend....good to hear. Keep posting girls.... AP
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey applepie ... ty 🙂 I have been very fortunate. It wasnt breast cancer but still the same sort of op - minus inteference to breast tissue though. I had amelanotic melanoma ... back this time with a different sort of cancer. Julie
0 Kudos
applepie
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jules....Sorry to hear that you have another different cancer...not fair! I hope you're travelling ok. AP
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey Ap ... thanks ... travelling ok so far ... you can throw a bit of ms in the middle of these two. lol I have to laugh and hoping thats my three things that i am gonna get and manage to survive them all. 🙂 How are things going for you? Julie
0 Kudos
inrspirit
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jules2 and applepie for your comments. The arm is still taking a while to recover and regain full motion, but getting better all the time, slowly. I've just started radiation and the stretch isn't feeling great. but I just remember there's only 22 more sessions to go. I didn't feel a thing for the tattoos and I like the idea that all injections can now be performed under my arm for although the stretcherd muscles hurt, there is no feeling in my armpit. I hope your all doing well, inrspirit
0 Kudos
applepie
Occasional Contributor

inrspirit Re injections etc under the arm... Once you have had lymph nodes removed you have to be very careful to care for the arm on that side. You have a high risk of infection and could risk lymphoedema. Ask your Drs about this. I once had an IV drip put in my left arm where I had nodes removed and had terrible swelling. Ever since then I don't have injections or blood taken from that arm.Any cuts or bites must be cared for carefully as well.Don't mean to scare you but lymphoedema is not very nice and its good to know how to prevent it if possible. I have had no problems since. Glad you are improving. I'm counting down those rads with you!! Jules..I'm doing REALLY well. AP
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.