Anxiety and distress caring husband with brain cancer

Sunflower1
New Contributor

Anxiety and distress caring husband with brain cancer

Hi, my husband has been diagnosed with GBM high grade 4 brain cancer about 4 weeks ago and brain tumor is large and inoperable, he has been given months to couple of years to live but I told my husband don’t believe that as he seems think he is dying and desease is terminal no matter what we do; I am a career driven independent woman and 20 years younger than my hubby, I feel I have been thrown into the deeper end and have to deal with everything and do everything myself no matter big and small, on The Top of looking after him, I have to also find a carer once my leave runs out from work to go back to work for financial reason, my husband has started losing cognition and coordination abilities so he is not able to do much. I sometimes keep myself incredibly busy so I don’t have time to think it reflect what this means or how this will affect our lives; I feel my head is filled with hundreds of to do list everyday and it can be very overwhelming and mentally exhausted. Is there any  homecare service I can tap into, he is 62 so I was told he is not old enough to get my aged care; I have also spoken to palliative care people locally, they don’t have a lot of recommendation neither. Can anyone help on this matter? Thank you very much! Crystal 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Anxiety and distress caring husband with brain cancer

Hi @Sunflower1,

Sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis, your mind must be in a whirl! Smiley Frustrated

Has anyone had experience with homecare services that could assist Crystal?

0 Kudos
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Anxiety and distress caring husband with brain cancer

Hi Crystal,

I have also just sent you a private message with a few services I think may be of use Heart

Cheers,

Kate

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.