Boyfriend with cancer (Hodgekins Lymphoma)

Jenny212
New Contributor

Boyfriend with cancer (Hodgekins Lymphoma)

Ok so I'm new to the whole cancer world, I started dating a guy whom I knew had Hodgekins Lymphoma and had been fighting it for 6 years. Once I really got to know him I found out his prognosis, which isn't the best however he's currently on a clinical trial after 2 BMTs and exhausting chemo options, but I still chose to stay despite his attempts to scare me off because it was too late, I was incredibly smitten. Now we've been together a little over 6 months and sometimes I feel really sad that he has cancer and the worlds unfair for giving him such a hard time. I thought I was stronger than this and sometimes I just breakdown and cry, but I almost feel as if I don't have a right to be sad because I chose to be with him even though I knew everything and also he has it far worse than me so I shouldn't even be sad. I love him so much and I have no thoughts of leaving, I just want to know if it is normal to feel like this? Also do I have a right to feel this way? Thanks
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Boyfriend with cancer (Hodgekins Lymphoma)

Hi Jenny, you absolutely have the right to feel this way, and much more besides. Good on you for sticking by your man. My husband was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2011, and had 6 months of chemotherapy. The one thing he said most often to me after the dust had settled was "Thanks for being there for me". Regardless of how calm, stressed or even soggy with tears you are, your support will help, so don't feel bad about feeling bad. I'm glad you found this forum, too. It's a great place to vent and get encouragement, as we all try to help each other through everything that cancer throws at us. Sending big hugs, Emily
0 Kudos
Jenny212
New Contributor

Thank you so much for that, it's so nice to know I'm not alone, I don't have any friends or family who have experienced cancer so no one really understands how I feel or why I worry so often.
0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Well you've come to the right place. One of the really good things is it's available 24 hours a day, so you can post anytime and anywhere. I hope you're having a good day. x
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.