Brain cancer

Annie
Occasional Contributor

Brain cancer

Hmmm, not many questions or answers here yet!  My partner was diagnosed with GBM, had an operation to remove it, and is now in his 2nd week of radiation and chemotherapy treatment - he's tired and as he had a seizure at the weekend, is now scared to go walking anywhere.... I think I just need to 'talk' to someone who's been through this or is going through this
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
mikey
Contributor

Brain cancer

Hi Annie, welcome to the forum and thanks for being the first to post in the brain cancers' forum. I help to moderate the forums on this website.I can't say I have personal experience with GBM or other Brain tumours but I'm always happy to listen. Hopefully more people will start posting here now that you've taken the first step.Best wishes, mikey
0 Kudos
Annie
Occasional Contributor

Brain cancer

so, is a brain tumour so very rare?
0 Kudos
mikey
Contributor

Brain cancer

I don't think it's that your partner's condition is so very rare. This is a relatively new service offered by the cancer council and it takes a while for people to start using it. You might notice on the top right of this page there is a link that says "subscribe to this post". If you click on this then you will get an email every time someone responds to this post. You can subsribe to the whole forum too if you like.BTW, I like your puppy.
0 Kudos
slipslop
Occasional Contributor

Brain cancer

hi there i had a secondary tumor removed on 20th October the cancer came from outer space...oops my bladder, well if you dont laugh you will cry. i know that strictly speaking its not brain cancer but it is a cancer and it does effect the brain, it was in the left occipital lobe and was successfully removed. now the fun begins. 9 blasts of radiation to make my complexion glowing and more chemo (taxol and carboplatinum). i dont know why im getting chemo as i understood that chemo couldnt get to the brain.
0 Kudos
Sooziii
Occasional Contributor

Brain cancer

Hi Annie My husband also has a brain tumour but his is an inoperable infiltrating oligodendroglioma.We have been battling this since 1994 - he had radiation then and had chemo (PCV) in 2005-2006.  At the moment it is not active but his is severely handicapped by the tumour effects.  The whole left hemisphere of his brain is touched by it.The radiation and the chemo left him debilitated and I guess it took him a good 6 to 8 months to recover.Regards Sooziii
0 Kudos
mikey
Contributor

Brain cancer

Hi Sooziii, I found your web page, or blog yesterday.... did put a thingy in the guest book.  Horrible things these brain tumours aren't they. Steve is in early days of treatment at the moment, and he's going pretty ok, hate to think what he'll be like by Christmas though....
0 Kudos
mumoftwo
New Contributor

Brain cancer

Hello, I am the mum of a five year son diagnosed with a brain stem glioma grade 2 in May 2008. Currently I have the decision to make radiation or surgery. Four expert doctors are saying do not operate as it is too risky being fully encased within the brain stem and grade two.  They believe radiation is the only acceptable treatment. On the other hand - Dr Teo is confident he can remove the tumour even saying "cure" it.  There are of course risks involved with he told me of.  Weighing this up with the tumour's progression which will, if left untreated or even with radiaion will likely kill him in maybe 12 months. Can anyone share their experiences of a similar situation with this type of children and especially in children? thank you mumoftwo
0 Kudos
shazpb
Not applicable

Brain cancer

Hi, So sorry your son isn't well. My thoughts and prays are with you. My husband was diagnosed with astrocytoma II in the spine (T2 - T6) way back in 1972 when he was 11 years old. He underwent a laminectomy, Radiation and chemotheraphy. In 1978 he was diagnosed with a tumour in the cerebellum and brain stem. Classed inoperable. Radiation was once again given. Between 1978 - 1995 he married, had 3 children and fufilled an "ordinary" life. Around 1995 the disease seeded in other parts of his spine and brain.  To be honest the disease has caught up with him a bit now but he still lives and enjoys life. At the time of his diagnosis the outlook was grim. 36 years on I guess he proved the doctor's wrong! Remember to always live in hope Shazpb  
0 Kudos
Annie
Occasional Contributor

Brain cancer

Hi all.... long time no post.... I am now living with my daughter and her family, my partner, with the brain tumour decided that he didn't want to 'be a burden', so kicked me out... This happened back in January... I am feeling guilty about leaving him, I still worry about him all the time, still love him to bits... He's now on to month 3 of 6 chemo treatments...
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.