Caring for my best friend

Ben42
Occasional Contributor

Caring for my best friend

Hi everyone out there who has this horrible disease or is caring for a loved one suffering this illness.

I am caring for my father and have come to another state to do this and walked away from my job as there was no one to care for him. It's now 5am in the morning and another night with no sleep I have been here for over a month now and find it very lonely.... my dad is my best mate in the world and I would do anything for him I suppose I'm just struggling with the situation at hand as he is. It's stage 4 and he is nearing the end of this life's journey and it's breaking my heart. The palliative care team that does house calls in this state have been hopeless and everything necessary for meds, syringes etc I have to take care of.... I just needed to write down my feelings to try and release so I don't break down myself... best wishes to everyone out there on this site as I understand the struggles and suffering you are going through xo

3 REPLIES 3
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Caring for my best friend

Hi Ben, I just wanted to give you a shout out of encouragement- you're doing a wonderful thing.  Emily

0 Kudos
Ben42
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Emily much appreciated 

0 Kudos
River
New Contributor

Hello Ben.  Cath here.   My son has advancer stage four bowel cancer and it's terrible but I want to congratulate you for doing what you are for your dear dad.  When my dad developed cancer my siblings and I took turns to live at his house and care for him.  We did it in pairs ( sometimes siblings or our partners etc).  In the end two were needed to help Dad toileting, washing etc. .   In the end Dad died in his own home with us with him.   You are doing an amazing job.   Be clear with the palliative care nurses re what you need.  The local chemist may also be very helpful and you could perhaps go and see your dad's doctor ( take a list) with questions.   Your dad is very lucky to have you.  Those nights can be lonely and frightening when dealing with what you are.   At the least, knowing there are others out there who understand and care for what you are going through, might, I hope, help a little.   PS.  Try to have a nap during the day when your dad sleeps or you will wear yourself out.   Cath

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.