Christmas Countdown

Lithgow_Mick
New Contributor

Re: Christmas Countdown

Reply to, Posted by Karen Rose - 6 Dec 2010 - 13:03 Hi Karen, my mum had Rhabdomyosarcoma, a rare cancer to be found in an adult. Each time the doctor visited her in her room, within less than 5 minutes he was on his way back out, he had even told dad that he had never seen a cancer like this. Obviously an idiot doctor. On one occassion a nurse came in to give mum her medication, she was asleep so the nurse said to the visitors in the room, when she wakes up give these to her, what a bloody joke, the nurse should have came back herself when mum was awake, I told the RN what had happened and she was going to have words with her. Another occassion, actually the day mum passed away, about an hour before, a young nurse entered the room while dad and I were in there, she turn and said with a big cheesy grin, " hi guys, what are we up to today "...well didnt I give her what for. Don't get me wrong, there were some excellent nurses there, there were also some PIGS. I havent bothered writing to anyone, whats the point, it wont bring her back. get this, mum had passed away no more than 15 minutes and the cleaning staff were waiting outside her room waiting on us to leave so they could clean. I am still angry to this day that I said nothing to there bastards. As I said in my earlier post, I honestly believe it was the Morphine that killed my mother, not the cancer, mind you the cancer would have eventually killed her, but at the time I believe it was the morphine.
0 Kudos
Karen_Rose
Occasional Contributor

Re: Christmas Countdown

Hi Mick I'm truly sorry your mum had such a difficult time in hospital. Unfortunately, I've had a lot of lengthy hospital stays over the past 3.9 years due to this horrendous disease and its aftermath. Over this time I can definitely relate to insensivite and inexperienced people in the health services. I've also had a lot of wonderful helpful people who have treated me as a 'whole person' not only a 'disease'. They've been the ones who have helped me try and improve my quality of life issues. It's only natural to dwell on the ifs, buts and maybes, we wouldn't be human if we didn't. Sometimes we can get so bitter and angry about what happened to ourselves or someone we love, it emotionally drains us and we get caught up spending all our time going round and round in circles, instead of moving forward and putting our energy into other things. I know it's easier said than done. I've done exactly that myself for many months and still occasionaly now. I hate to think how much time and how many headaches..... or migraines I've had from going over and over things a doctor should have done, things a doctor shouldn't of done etc early in my treatments. It blows my mind, we can't change things. We only need to have met one incompetent person during our hospital experience and that experience can scar us very deeply for such a long time. They destroy our faith in the medical doctors and system, especially when the result has been a tragic one, like your mums. I'm not sure what State you live in but if you change your mind and decide you want to express your concerns regarding your mums experience you can contact the Health SErvices Commission. They're there to listen and look into any problems within the health service, public and private. Take care Karen
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.