Colon cancer

sandra
Occasional Contributor

Colon cancer

my father has just been diagnosed with colon cancer.  We are all freaking out. He has been referred to a colorectal surgeon next week.  What happens now?  When does he see an oncologist?  Do we have to arrange that or does the colorectal surgeon??
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
mikey
Contributor

colon cancer

Hi Sandra, Welcome to the forums. How did your father's visit to the colorectal surgeon go?
0 Kudos
sandra
Occasional Contributor

colon cancer

Hi Mikey, He is being operated on Wednesday 16/11.  These last 2 weeks have felt like 2 years.  So we are all keeping our fingers and toes crossed.
0 Kudos
Oldman
Contributor

Colon cancer

Sorry it has taken so long to reply so I hope i can still be of some help.I found out that I have the same problem as your Dad last month.Once he sees the surgeon he may need further testing such as CT Scan, MRI, Ultrasound. This was the worst time for me as the waiting to get something done as scary. But I found out that the test are important as the surgeon needs to find out the extent of the tumour. He may require Radiation or Chemo before surgery can take place.I'm now at the stage of starting Radiation and the Chemo which has reduced my fear a bit as I now know something is happening, it was the waiting to get to this stage which was the worst. And all this has happened in four weeks of being diagnosed. I hope this is of some help please let me know if I can help you or your Father in anyway.Oldman (Kevin)
0 Kudos
sandra
Occasional Contributor

Colon cancer

Thanks Kevin for the info.   You're right  - it's the waiting around that is so agonising - at least i feel a bit better now to hear that it's normal.  Wishing you a speedy recovery
0 Kudos
Oldman
Contributor

colon cancer

I just want to say good luck with it all.What type of operation is he having? I have to have 6weeks of Chemo and Radiation before they can remove the tumour in my bowel, so with your dad have an operation now could be a good thing as they maybe getting it early.Best Wishes,Kevin
0 Kudos
sandra
Occasional Contributor

colon cancer

Hi Kevin, The tumour was in his colon.  They removed it on Wednesday and we found out on Sunday that it doesn't appear to have spread elsewhere.  He will undergo chemo as a precautionary measure but will need to wait until he recuperates from the operation.  I don't think chemo was an option for him earlier as it was too large. So fingers crossed for the moment.  Hope all is going well for you.  Think positive and don't let the waiting drag you down.   Sandra    
0 Kudos
Oldman
Contributor

colon cancer

Thank you Sandra for letting me know how your Dad went.It is such good news that it was contained with in the colon.How long will he be in hospital for?I ask this as I have no idea of what to expect when I get to the surgery stage which should be around early Feb I hope.I do not finish the radiation and chemo until December 29.I have started to write a blog on facebook on how the treatment is going. I try to update daily it might (or might not) help your father to read and understand what to expect while on the chemo. If you like i can send you the URL for you to have a look at.Kevin
0 Kudos
sandra
Occasional Contributor

colon cancer

Hi Kevin, My dad was in hospital for 2 weeks and the operation lasted for 3.5 hours.  He has  a colostomy bag and it won't be until late feb when he finds out if it becomes a permanent fixture. In the new year he will see an oncologist about chemotherapy as a precaution.  I guess you would be near the end of your radiotheraphy/chemo .  Hope it didn't knock you around too much.  Your operation will go well - you're a lot younger than my old man (he's 73) and he came through it fine!!  He now has the ugly stuff to go through now!!   Have a lovely Christmas with your family and this time next year, this whole saga will be but a distant memory!!!!   Sandra  
0 Kudos
Oldman
Contributor

colon cancer

Hello Sandra,Yep I only have 3 treatment days left (yippppppe) I finish on the 29th. I have had 5days off because of the Christmas break which my bum considered a gift.So now I only have to wait for the end of January to rock so I can the this thing out of me. We have had to cut our trip to Victoria a week short so I can be back to see the Anaesthetic Doc and prepare for Physio.Please say hello to your Dad for me.Kevin
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.