Coping with emotions

brenda2020
Occasional Contributor

Coping with emotions

Hi, my mother has stomach cancer and she's starting her first treatment this week... I don't know what to expect as shes not eating well already,and if she dosent have appetite she will loose even more weight . Anyone know of any protien rich soups or drinks that it easy to digest for cancer patients??

19 REPLIES 19
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Coping with emotions

brenda2020

Possibly hospital sustagen powder mixed in milk or water ,if your Mum can take the milk a blended banana added is ok as well .I found mushy scrambled eggs was my go to but I didn’t have stomach cancer,good luck finding what helps ,trial and error.

brenda2020
Occasional Contributor

thankyou 🙂

she loves having soft boiled eggs in the morning so hope that will help her.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@brenda2020 

Can Mum tolerate dairy? Some tips hubby got given by the hospital dietician included fortifying regular milk with skim milk powder and using this for making custard, smoothies and yoghurt adds protein as does adding legumes, meat or milk to soup.

0 Kudos
brenda2020
Occasional Contributor

unfortunately dairy is no good for her. she cant have milk or yogurt. also unable to digest any meat or chicken so well.. so its really difficult for me at the moment, trying to get her to eat things with high protein. Having all veggies and fruit smoothies at the moment. lucky she can have cucumbers and tomatoes....

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@brenda2020 

Lentils or chick peas could be an option, almonds (?almond milk) and peanut butter are also good sources of protein.

brenda2020
Occasional Contributor

thanks so much for the suggestions Darcy. i wrote them down to look into it!  i didnt think of almond milk. that might be a good alternative! 🙂

Missbritz
Occasional Visitor

There is a protein shake called Orgaine made by a previous cancer survivor. It is filled with superfoods too. I got ours at Target. I'm not sure if your mom would do well with it, but mine did and she is very finicky.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How is Mum going with her eating @brenda2020 ?

0 Kudos
brenda2020
Occasional Contributor

not too well actually.. feeling heavy in the stomach after eating ANYTHING. she looks weaker, and we have our 2nd chemo treatment next week. we are hopefully going to see a dietitian and the doctor Tuesday to see if she is well enough to start the next treatment. shes trying her best to eat- but its very hard to digest for her.. walking up and down the house the get it digested..

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.