Couples, Communication and Cancer

Mrs_Elton
Contributor

Couples, Communication and Cancer

Hi Everyone, Couples, Communication, Cancer. Each of these is difficult enough on their own, but put them all together and you can add a new word, CHALLENGING!! I know it's a common theme here, it is just so vital to be able to communicate with each other and with others to try and minimize (because I'm not sure that you can eliminate it all together) that feeling of "I'm going CRAZY! I am aware that there is a 'couples retreat' being held in Perth in November by the Cancer Council. Has anyone else been to one previously? If so, did you find it helpful?
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Wilmo34
New Contributor

Re: Couples, Communication and Cancer

Hi there Mrs Elton I am in perth and was thinking of going except finding someone to have the minion is a bit hard. but i have other cancer friends that have gone to those retreats and they all say good things.
0 Kudos
Mrs_Elton
Contributor

Thanks Wilmo34, My husband and I are attending it and I am looking forward to the opportunity to meet others in our situation and learn how we can 'cope' with things better together. Will let you know what I think! Best wishes, Mrs Elton
0 Kudos
Versaillon
Contributor

Do they have anything like that here in Melbourne? I might investigate because I would welcome it. Although my husband and I communicate, sometimes I feel I'm not expressing what I need to well enough for him to understand. Very frustrating.
0 Kudos
blueskies
Not applicable

I am needing some help with communicating with my partner too. He has only been diagnosed with a brain tumour in the last 2 weeks and we are on a roller-coaster of emotions. Does any one have any suggestions?
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

blueskies im sorry to hear about your hubby.. will he be recieving any treatment? my advice is to let your partner be angry be upset for a while but dont let him dwell in it.. try n do things that you used to do before diagnosis.. take each day as it comes amd be open about your feelings and fears.. dont let yourself do everything alone.. accept help 🙂
0 Kudos
AutumnSunrise
New Contributor

@ Versaillon - I agree. I'd love to do something like that here in Melbourne too. I think we need support
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi All, Cancer Connections Community members in Western Australia may be interested in attending this Couples with Cancer event: The Cancer Council Western Australia through the support of the Brady Cancer Foundation is funding a special two day workshop for couples where one or both partners are currently living with cancer. The workshop provides an opportunity for partners to spend time together in a relaxed and supportive environment to explore the impact of cancer on their life and relationship. • The Personal Experience • The Couple Experience • Strengthening Communication in Difficult Circumstances • Health and Wellbeing – Coping Strategies and Stress Management PRESENTERS: Karen Anderson - M.Soc.Sc.(Counselling); Grad. Dip. Counselling; B.Educ. Counsellor, Psychotherapist and Couple Therapist Greg Chidlow - M.Psych. Counselling Psychologist DATE: Saturday 26 November 2011, 9:00am - 5:30pm Sunday 27 November 2011, 9:30am - 3:30pm VENUE: Wollaston College Conference & Retreat Centre, Mount Claremont WA COST: Free of charge RSVP: 18 November 2011 The workshop is limited to fourteen couples and registration is essential please phone Cancer Council Helpline on 13 11 20 to register your interest. Accommodation may be available for country patients. A telephone interview is required before registration is confirmed. Kind regards, Felix Cancer Connections Coordinator
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.