Dealing with hubbies progressive cancer

Roz
Occasional Contributor

Dealing with hubbies progressive cancer

Hi my hubby was diagnosed and had surgery and radiation therapy 10yrs ago for prostate cancer . We had only meet 3 mths before so we have lived with this shit disease our entire relationship.

To say it hasnt effected our relationship is definately an understatement .We are more companions . He has mets in his spine and nodes in his groin He is on androgen therapy but that is not working.  Arrrrgh . He was on androcur but the side effects  where yuk our next is chemo. I get frustrated  angry and scared and have thoughts of not being able to cope. We have retired but really can't plan to much as we dont know what is ahead . He is well at the moment but being in the medical field i know whats ahead am an scared shitless . I just want to know prognosis time . I need to plan my life I want to be ok does that make me a bad person. F---k my head is in such a confused state . Sorry for my venting . Roz 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Dealing with hubbies progressive cancer

Hi @Roz and welcome!

Sorry to read that your husband's latest treatment isn't working Smiley Sad

Wanting to know does not make you a bad person Heart Have you been to any of his appointments? Are you able to talk to him or his treatment team?

We have some programs here at Cancer Council that I think will assist you, I am back in the office on Wednesday, so will send you a private message then. If you need to, please call 13 11 20 tomorrow, they are open 9am - 5pm.

Please do not ever worry about posting here, you are welcome to vent, share your story or anything you need to Heart

0 Kudos
Roz
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kate thank you for your reply . I have been to all of Neales appt over the 10yrs. Neale is a bit of bury your head in the sand kind of person. He has at times decided he could go without his treatment for a couple of weeks  rather than go to the Drs . Very frustrating. We go to a private oncoligist  and I find her a bit wishy washey . Neale is happy with her and we have been going to her for some time.  We dont actually have a team . She is on sick leave at the moment and we go to her Locum on the 18th Jan . Sometimes I think we should have gone public as they have a huge support system . Thanks again its nice to have a place to chat really dont have anyone to chat to . Ppl ask but dont really dont want to know so my answer is yeah all good . Cheers Roz 

0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi Roz, I'm glad you found this forum.  It's a great place to vent to people who know what it's like to have your life effected by cancer.  We can all agree with you that it totally sucks!!  We're all standing with you, so feel free to vent as much as you like.  Sending big hugs, Emily

Roz
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Emily  I will accept that hug.Thanks for your reply.

Our next appt is the 18th Jan . It is a bit scary as Neales PSA is till rising so not sure where out Journey is going . 

I feel in my gut that we are on the downward spiral.Lucky Neale is sypmtom free at the moment . Unfortunately I am in the medical field and know what is ahead . 

Its hard to plan to do anything as we dont know whats next.Arrrrgh 

Cheers Roz

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.