Doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer to show my support for loved ones.

Tara_Cull
New Contributor

Doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer to show my support for loved ones.

My name is Tara and I came here because Cancer has affected my family in the last 18 months. My partners sister was first diagnosed with a Malignant Brain Tumor when she was just 28. I remember thinking it was too young but I have since learned that it's common at all ages. When I first found out, it was my birthday and my partner was away and unreachable by mobile phone. The news haunted me for 3 days before Jill finally rang me, so happy to finally have phone reception and to tell me ' I love you', but her happiness was short lived when I told her that tests had revealed her sister had a brain tumor. After surgery and 18 months of treatment, Jills sister is quite well, but treatment is ongoing to improve her quality of life, however much is unknown. Not long after Jill's sister was diagnosed, I got a phone call from my mum and she said "It's your grandma, it's not good". Without even listening to what Mum had to say, I hung up the phone and began to cry in the middle of Camberwell train station. She had Cancer in her uterus. She had a hysterectomy to remove her uterus and lymph nodes. When she had appointments, I liked to just go and keep her and my grandpa company. After her hysterectomy, radiation and her scan, we celebrated her wellness. But it was short lived when a scan revealed it had spread to her lungs and lymph nodes. She is now undergoing chemo at Peter Mac. She is going okay and has the love and support or her family. Im very close to my Grandma, my mum and my aunties, do its been really hard to know what to do and I often wonder how I can help them. It's also been hard for both Jill and I to remain positive when Cancer is affecting both our families. We have decided that we will team up to participate in the Ride to Conquer Cancer to raise money for the Peter Mac Cancer Centre. We want to show our support for our family, and for other families who are also affected. We have an online donation page, if anyone would like to show us support. http://ml12.conquercancer.org.au/goto/taracull We each need to raise $2500 each Thanks for listening to my story Tara
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer to show my support for ...

Good on you for all the support you give to your families. Good luck for thr ride too.
0 Kudos
Tara_Cull
New Contributor

Re: Doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer to show my support for ...

Thanks I just want to be able to help somehow and this feels like the best way. I have so much respect for people who volunteer to help fundraise - It's so difficult to ask for help.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.