Feeling overwhelmed

mollie
Occasional Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

I am pleased to find this forum but wondering why there are no messages. I am caring for my dad who has pancreatic cancer. I would like to hear from anyone who has something positive to say about this nasty cancer. Dad is recovering from his Whipple slowly, eating is still a problem. I am feeling so overwhelmed by all the negativity around this cancer and we are all tryiong to be positive with Dad.
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
mollie
Occasional Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Feeling a bit lonely. Dad is going to stgart chemo soon. I am a bit worried about what to expect. I would like to hear from someone who is having chemo- Gemsar?
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

hi mollie,i was diagnosed 2 years ago and had a whipples on 14 sept o5.It takes a while to get over the op.Is your dad taking enzyme tablets because they were a God send to me (and still are).As far as the chemo goes ,gemc. has very few side affects.I found I got tired a bit more and felt slightly achey but that was it! Good luck and know that there is hope.I get better everyday and it does get easier.
0 Kudos
mikey
Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Hi Mollie,Welcome to the forums. This site was only launched on Tuesday this week so that's why there aren't so many posts. There are a few in the general forum from when we were testing but that's about it so far.Stay positive - there is hope and you're not alone.
0 Kudos
mollie
Occasional Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Thankyou Margro, Dad and I feel more positive knowing that it does get better. Today we are enjoying the sunshine and yesterday, a milestone dad's 75th birthday which we celebrates with family and friends. Each day a gift. Sharing certainly helps. Thanbks.
0 Kudos
mollie
Occasional Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Ok, this is a new forum and I am new to forums but it is a help to be able to go somewhere and share. Let us share together
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Congrats on Dad's birthday.I'm looking forward to my 75th(only 23 to go!!!).The best thing about this,is that I now celebrate 2 birthdays every year!I celebrate the day I was operated on as my second birthday because every year after that is a major milestone!Also an excuse for more presents! Just know that by being there for your dad,you are doing as much in his recovery as any dr or medication!Keep positive and remember to take time for youself as well.Life does get back to "normal"eventually.
0 Kudos
mollie
Occasional Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Home now after a long day at hospital. Dad was admitted again with a bit of a set back. He doesnt feel like eating and when he does he is vomiting a lot. They said this sometimes happens after a Whipples and will settle. Dad has lost a lot of weight. He has never been a smoker or a drinker and this just seemed to come out of the blue. HAs this been other peoples experiences? Anybody got some tips about eating after Whipples. The doctor showed me today what he did in the Whipples and now I can see why dad will need a bit of time to settle. Two steps forward, one back at the moment. we too will be celebrating two birthdays now, all smiles to you margro.
0 Kudos
mikey
Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Hi Mollie,I think Margro will be able to give you good advice, but I do know that eating can become a bit of a chore after a whipple operation. Your sense of taste can change and foods can begin to taste metallic or just different and unpleasant. Try adding flavours to food like salt, garlic, cheese, spices, chutneys, pickles, sugar ... experiment till you find something your Dad likes. Lots of smaller meals are probably the go too. Has your Dad tried nutrition supplement powders like sustagen? These don't replace meals but can sometimes help people regain weight.
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

It hasn't been that long since dad's op but take heart,soon it will be 3steps forward and 1 back.Try to keep up the encouragement with him but let him be a miserable old so and so when he wants to.It is very overwhelming,especially for someone your dad's age....he should be enjoying the rest of his life,not putting up with this.Maybe this is a wake up call for his kids to keep a check on things with their bodies!Make sure you remember each birthday requires a present!!!!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.