Feeling overwhelmed

mazza
Occasional Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Hi! Mollie. Congratulations one being there for your Dad, big surgery long recovery time. I am approaching my 2nd anniversary, two years ago I never believed I would be this good today. Two years down the track, small meals are the go. I never used to have breakfast, the sustagen I sprinkle on breakfast cereal, I cannot drink it as recommended on the can. Since my hospital visit in January I have changed to soy milk, body toleration improved. I have black coffee though, cannot handle the taste in coffee, only have one or two a day. When I left Hospital I was told, stringy vegetables and red meat could upset and I cannot have any form of peanuts not even peanut butter, could cause bowel blockage. Pancreatic duct goes straight into bowel. There could be a few hospital trips for your Dad and there may not, either from chemo or body not tolerating food. Everyone is different so it is trial and error. But the smaller meals work. My January Hospital trip a bit of a mystery (medically) I think it was Christmas catch up, too much over indulgence of meat. Don't expect weight gain too soon. Takes awhile, I have come to terms I will not weigh the same. I am approx. 10 kilos lighter and I have gained the 10 kilos I lost while in Hospital. Good luck Mollie and Congratulations.
0 Kudos
mollie
Occasional Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Yes the sunnies are because I had some time out at the beach. My brother came up  from Melbourne to be with Dad. Wow, it is great to see new friends and I want to change the name of this to "Not Feeling so Overwhelmed Now". Until I found this forum, I couldnt find anyone to talk to about this. Just to tell Dad, hey we can live with this (Thanks Mazza) made us both feel so strong. Dad has started chemo and it is going OK. He has a continuous thing on and a community nurse comes in to check him, which he finds easier. He gets tired but not too bad with nausea. Just taking baby steps with food. Hey margro, frozen chocolate Up an Go's are a hit. A big Hi to new friends and are there any other carers out there?
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Hi Mollie, I am so happy to see you had a holiday!You deserve it.I was a bit worried when you disappeaared without a note but that's ok. How's dad?
0 Kudos
Jan
Occasional Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Hi. I hope you have had some luck with foods and what works. It is a matter of trial and error it seems. I still have problems with food sensitivities 9 years on. Processed foods seem to be a culprit with me. We had a different type of biscuit when camping and next day I was so weak I could not put the sleeping bag back into it's sack, a tricky job at the best of times. I have been fortunate to speak to others with a whipples and sometimes the line is as fine as fresh organic chicken compared to frozen supermarket chicken. Some common culprits seem to are eggs, bread, nuts. I know putting regaining weight can be a real issue, but it does happen slowly.
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Jan,welcome!So great to see a long term survivor. I know this is an indelicate subject,but I find since my op I can go anything up to 10 days without going to the toilet and then I will spend the next coupla days living in the bathroom.I classify this as my 'new normal'.Is that common to anyone else or is it just my weird body? Well done on your life,Margro
0 Kudos
Jan
Occasional Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Dear Margo From what I have heard others comment on, you are pretty unique! Everyone I have spoken to is pretty loose in that area, everyday. I don't know if your doctor could give an explanation. I imagine that it can be inconvienent some days if you have things to do. Maybe it will settle with time?I  was very low on iron after my op and started on iron tablets. This normally has a binding effect but in my case it took 3 months! Even now I still have bad days so I just put it down to "some foods". Keep smiling Jan  
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Jan,have to admit that I'm unique!Not sure if that's a good or bad thing but what the hell......at least I'm still here!!!!!Doesn't bother me that much unless it's one of my bathroom days and I have to use a public loo cause I'm out!Think 3 Maccas close their doors when they see me coming now!!!!!! Way I figure it,better that than something else! Margro
0 Kudos
mikey
Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Hi Margro,This website might be o f use to you if you need to plan a trip on your bathroom days http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Thanks Mikey!!!!I'll download and print off a location map!!! I appreciate the fact that you just made me laugh,thankyou!!!!
0 Kudos
mollie
Occasional Contributor

Feeling overwhelmed

Well, I agree. That gave me the biggest belly-laugh and hey, I looked it up and it is great. Anywhere in Australia that you want to go... Good on you Mikey. Dad having week off chemo, so I said to him, pick your destination and I'll find the loo! we are going OK at the moment, except Mum had a turn when we were out the other night and it was Mum that went off in the ambulance. It seems it was just a combination of her tablets and not eating. Roll with the punches, I say.Cheers and Hi to new friends,MolliePage 2...wooHoo!!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.