GBM - Brain Tumor

Tanyag
Occasional Contributor

GBM - Brain Tumor

Hi, My father was diagnosed with GBM grade IV after colapsing in late June. He had surgery and has just finished six weeks of treatment which was chemo and radiotherapy. During treatment / surgery etc he has done really well. Now we are in the 4 weeks of waiting till the next lot of chemo and he is really flat. The possitive is starting to go and he has difficulty being able to complete a sentance without forgeting a word he wants to use. My mum has hurt herself and he seems to be struggling emotionally with her. I just dont know what to do / say to help. It is very hard to watch and I cant even imagine how it is for them. I am interested in other peoples experiences with this type of brain tumour.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: GBM - Brain Tumor

Hi tanyag I am sorry to hear of your father's diagnosis. I am sure he is feeling flat after his last lot of treatment, plus the reality of his diagnosis is most likely hitting home right now also. It is hard to watch someone who we love suffer and yet by just being there you are doing something, even though it doesn't feel like it. When I was diagnosed I emotionally disconnected from my family also. It was hard to deal wiith my diagnosis and hard to see them struggle to deal with everything. Things have gone back to normalish now and hopefully it will do so for your father soon too. I am sure your mum is struggling also and hopefully she will be better soon. Thinking of you all. Julie
0 Kudos
Tanyag
Occasional Contributor

Hi Julie, Thank you for your reply & your thoughts. I hope you are doing ok! Tanya
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Tanya I am doing ok thanks ... bit of a time will tell situation but for now its all good. Any more news on your dad? Julie
0 Kudos
Tanyag
Occasional Contributor

Hi Julie I am glad to hear. Went to see dad today and he is very confussed. I dont know if it is from the Radiotherapy or the tumor I suppose the MRI in a few weeks will answer that question. It is hard to watch a man who prides himself on telling a good story and having a chat struggling to remember what he wanted to say. Mum is barley able to get herself up they are quite a pair! I live an hour away so feeling a bit helpless would like to be there more but that is the way it is. Just trying really hard to stay possitive and doing what I can. Tanya
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Tanya Distance is such a bugger! I had to travel a lot for my treatment so was away from my family a lot, so in a way I know some of what you are going through. One thing you might be able to do is go with your Mum and Dad next time he goes to the oncologist. Then you kind of get it straight from the horses mouth and also you can ask questions too. I know saying is easy and putting into practical isn't but it might be worth trying. I am sure you are doing all you can ... sometimes it is harder for the family than the patient. Take care Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.