Hey guys - im a 23 yrd old carer of my beautiful Mother

I_Miss_My_Mums_
Occasional Contributor

Hey guys - im a 23 yrd old carer of my beautiful Mother

Hey guys, Im here to introduce myself - im 23 yrs old and the primary carer of my mum who has survived breast and throat cancer in the period of 7 years. Im here for support, and to understand how to live y life as a carer as well as having a life of my own?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
jlloyd79
Not applicable

Re: Hey guys - im a 23 yrd old carer of my beautiful Mother

hang in there. It's hard sometimes, but these are the moments (the good and the bad) that you hold onto forever. You'll probably feel and see things that alot of people never will. you'll see a strength in your mother that you never have before. That is a gift and your honour... Keep up the great work... The important thing I think, from experience, is to try to carve out time for yourself at least once a week. It can be hard, because you feel like you will miss something, or maybe feel a little guilty, but it will be good for you and for her (she'll have the best of you that way) if you can try to get someone to cover you while you duck out to the gym for an hour, take a walk or chillax to some good music....
0 Kudos
I_Miss_My_Mums_
Occasional Contributor

You know, your right about seeing a strength i never knew was there. My mother has been through hell. I just wish i could do more, i have the world on my shoulders and nowhere to put it at the moment. As much as i would like to think these times will be ones of which i hold on to, i dont think so. I want to forget this ever happened. I feel so angry! I cant stop crying, the pain sits there and never goes away!
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

hi! im 23 also and i know how hard it is supporting someone with cancer.. my bf has bowel cancer.. i struggle everyday to keep things normal but its so hard. Ive noticed my friends arnt there for me like they used to be.. it seems like they dont care. I cry in the mornings sometimes on the way to work.. thinking of shitty things ahead... the thought of my partner passing away is to much for me.. the pain is to real and i hate it. I keep trying to remember our lives before cancer and its very hard!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.