Hi Guys

Not applicable

Hi Guys

Hi Everyone, Thought I would just introduce myself. I do not have cancer but my father does, he has been diagnosed with bowel cancer, they took biopsies and found it in the bowel, they are concerned though because it is not showing up on any scans but it is showing up in his lymph fluid, so they are hoping that it is not located in other places in his body. My father has just recently gone through an aggressive session of chemo and radiation for the last month. I feel for him for what he went through, they had to stop the chemo a week early cause of the side effects he was experiencing and the fact that he couldnt walk. Then the side effects of the radiation were so painful for him. I felt useless that I couldnt help him in anyway. He is now taking some recovery time before heading off for surgery at the end of May, he has now come to terms with the fact that he will have a bag for the rest of his life. But I know deep down he hates the thought of it. I never knew how greatly it would affect me seeing him like this, I had a break down, I myself was extremely sick with Thyroid issues and they were worried about me dying, but all I could worry about was my dad. My disease fixed itself and I have put on the weight I lost from being sick and have gone back to normal, my dad doesnt have this luxury, he will never be the same, and I cant make it all go away for him. My grandmother died of the same cancer that my dad has, but no one found it till it was too late. I am hoping we got to his cancer in time. My mother also has suffered, when I was a baby my mum got diagnosed with a brain tumour. They operated and removed part of her skull near her ear as the cancer had eaten away at it, you cant really tell it just looks like her ear is slightly sunken in. It wasnt till she was in her 40's that we finally got the all clear on her cancer, it was finally all gone, 17 years after the surgery. Mum was extremely relieved, but I am worried about how she is dealing with my dad having cancer. I feel so bad that there is nothing I can do. The only thing I have found that helps is just being there for them, but also I have decided to make a commitment to helping the Cancer Council. I have a home business which I will be launching at the end of march and am making it a fundraising event. I will also comit to givig 5% of all profits to the Cancer Council and have signed up for the Advocacy program. I think my dad appreciates me being active in trying to make some sort of a change. Anyhoo, I ramble on too much, that is my story of how I came to be involved with dealing with the issue of cancer. If you would like to make a donation towards my fundraising efforts please got to http://nsw.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/younggreetingcards
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Sunshine006au
Contributor

Re: Hi Guys

Hi bub001, Just being there for you Dad is wonderful, I was there for my darling Dad & most of the time I wanted to take the pain he was feeling & give it to myself, there were times I felt useless but I look back now & I know that Dad got strength from me just being by his side. I cried a lot & I got so mad at the dr's that were looking after Dad with good reson to)hat I'm trying to say is that your doing an amzing job, be proud of yourself as I'm sure your Dad is very, very proud of you. Sending big (((HUGS))) to you. Alison xxx
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Hi Guys

It sounds like you are doing all you can for your dad. Donating to the Cancer Council is a good thing too. I'm sure all your efforts in both ares will be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.