Just found out last week my wife has cervical cancer

MiniDriver
Occasional Contributor

Just found out last week my wife has cervical cancer

I struggle off and on. I feel I need to be composed and together for my darling. My partner was diagnosed a week ago with cervical cancer. I try not to be too much of a blubbering mess. Tomorrow we will find out what the chemo and possible surgery schedule is. I lost my father when I was three and my step father when I was 31 so I am no stranger to the difficulties of treatment. Some days I would just like to put the whole illness thing away and have a rest from it. All our friends are strong and positive and helpful. But lately I feel upset and angry, but don’t think it is fair to show it as the positive thought attitude is so important. I feel that I am being selfish and self absorbed. I AM NOT THE ONE WHO IS ILL!! I still struggle with the intense emotion of it all. Anyone had a similar experience? Iain
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Just found out last week my wife has cervical cancer

Hiya Iain The people who have helped care for me have felt exactly the way you have. It is different for everyone involved with someone who has a cancer diagnosis. In some ways it is more difficult for people who are caring, in that they often feel helpless and not sure what they can do to help the person that is diagnosed. This is just my perspective and i have cancer and just looking at what my family and friends have had to go through. Hope you can get rid of the anger soon, perfectly normal to feel that way by the way. Julie
0 Kudos
MiniDriver
Occasional Contributor

Hello Jules Thanks so much for your input. I am now less angry, feel more balanced. Your comments and the input of others have helped me gain more perspective. I feel a little embarrased really! At the time though the frustration and suffering is very real. Regards Iain
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya Iain GLad to hear you are feeling less angry and more balanced. 🙂 I hope you dont feel embarrassed as we all go through times that are tough and yes our feelings are very real, along with suffering. I cried while the oncologist came to my room and i couldnt stop crying. I laugh about that now. At the time i sobbingly told him i would be ok, i was just having a sad morning. haha I just feel that what we experience and feel as we go through all of this is natural and normal. It is when the feelings etc... go beyond that point that we need to worry. take care Julie
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Iain. There's no need to feel embarrassed. You're experiencing something that is terrifying and out of your complete control. Of course, you need to be positive, but sometimes its ok to have a meltdown and become a blubbering mess. I used to do it when my husband was out. But sometimes I had no control over my feelings and reactions. I used to get the runs eveytime I heard the oncologist's voice in the Oncology Day Centre! My friends were beautiful and compassionate, however, they held their partners in bed at night, not feeling the horror thatI felt. They get to walk away from the disease and its friends, while we are immersed in it. Iain, it's ok to fall, as long as you get back up and keep moving forward. Sending you positive vibrations.
0 Kudos
MiniDriver
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the positive vibrations. I appreciate them as well as the response and support. Iain
0 Kudos
blushn_raindrop
New Contributor

I can relate to how your feeling. I have been going through the same range of emotion since discovering that my partner has hodgkins 2 weeks ago. i have come to realise that feeling selfish is totally normal and although it is not us that is sick it still has a huge impact on us as well being that it is someone so close who is ill. ive now learnt not to try and hide these feeling and that talking to someone about every single little feeling really does help and that no matter what the feeling whether it be feeling helpless, angry or even positive is just a range of normal emotions and with time things should get easier for both you us and our partners.
0 Kudos
Mrs_Elton
Contributor

Hey blushn_raindrop, Hats off to you for realising so early in this journey that you need to be honest with your feelings. I am still coming to terms with it and we have been on the 'cancer' road since February! Our loved one may have cancer in their body, we as partners/lovers/children etc have it in our lives. A diagnosis has a HUGE impact on everyone in the 'household'. Best wishes to you both, Mrs Elton
0 Kudos
MiniDriver
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your thoughts, comments and heartfelt feelings.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Was so great to find your post, my partner was diagnosed with bowel cancer a month ago and lately I have been feeling the same as you angry and wishing for our old life back,every aspect of our life has changed and it doesn't feel fair. I noticed these posts are from a while ago so was wondering how you are dealing with it now... any pointers? Its just not something I feel comfortable talking to frineds or family about Thanks
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.