My Dad has Cancer

Jade_5233
New Contributor

My Dad has Cancer

Hi, My name is Jade and I am 20 years old. Last October doctors found a large tumour in my Dad's kidney and some small lesions in his lungs. Since then, we have been on a roller coaster of a ride. He had his kidney removed and we thought maybe things were going to be okay. They then started scanning him every 3 months to try to watch how his cancer was progressing. The first scan that they did found that the cancer appeared to be shrinking itself. The doctors didn't understand what was happening but the decision was made to wait another 3 months to decide whether to treat or not. 3 months later the news was not so good, the cancer had spread into his bones and a week later a tumour was found in his brain. Since that time he has had brain surgery to remove the tumour, radiation for his brain and his bones and is now on a drug therapy. Things are not good. My dad is really weak and in pain all the time. He is not able to really live his life as he is so tired and weak. It is so hard to watch this. We haven't been told what his prognosis is but I'm under the impression that it isn't good. I feel like at this stage I'm really not dealing with it properly. It's like I'm trying to pretend none of this is happening. I know that I can't keep doing this but I really don't know how to accept what is happening and be okay. It is hard for everyone and my Dad is the kind of person who just doesn't want to talk about it. I can't imagine how he is feeling or what he is thinking about. Does anyone have any strategies that they could give me to help to deal with this? I really need to be able to accept this and still be able to live life but at this stage it seems impossible. Thank you for reading my story. I hope to hear from someone soon.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Not applicable

Re: My Dad has Cancer

Hi Jade, Cancer affects everyone, not just the individual diagnosed with it. My mum had cancer and I ended up caring for her. There are counsellors and support groups that the Cancer Council can provide you further details. I found when I cared for my mum, I became emotionally and mentally drained so it's important for you to look after yourself so you can look after others. I found that having time out like reading, having a massage, talking with others helped me. The Cancer Council also has information on complimentary therapy as well that may be of assistance with fatigue and pain management. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.