My Dad, so scared

Sqweege
Contributor

Re: My Dad, so scared

Thank you so much Di and PrayingToBeAnswered ((hugs)) I've been a bit slack on here lately, things got so overwhelming. I did get sick with a virus that prevented me from seeing Dad and taking him to that chemo treatment. I was able to get down to him about 5 days after that. He is doing really well and feels the chemo (& complementary medicine/acupuncture) is helping. His pain has reduced and his main side effect from the chemo is tiredness but apart from that he feels pretty good. He's eating well, still not gaining weight but eating well is a good thing. He has good colour and in a pretty good frame of mind, so good to see :) PrayingToBeAnswered, I will have a look for your threads so I know your 'story' (((hugs))) How are you this week Di? How's bubby Bailey? Re; the trip to Dads, it's an 8hr round trip. Exhausting especially alone.
0 Kudos
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Hi PrayingToBeAnswered great to hear from you and welcome to the site. Thanks for you lovely words, but everything I say on here comes from my heart. I was re-reading some of my posts the other night and I thought to myself people on here will think 'oh here she goes again - does she think she knows everything?' - I suppose I'm like the people who say they have been everywhere and done everything, but sadly it just shows that my life has been touched by a lot of illness and sadness. I would much rather NOT be able to comment on a lot of these posts, but because I have been through it, I feel that I should try and help others. (I hope all of the above makes sense!) My little baby is so beautiful, hopefully will try to get down to Melb again this weekend to see her. As for f/book games, I have started playing Zuma Blitz - great game but soooo addictive. Anyway, it fills in my time at night when partner has gone to bed and I cant sleep (any also during the day when I cant be bothered and just want to veg out!). Take care, talk soon Di 🙂
0 Kudos
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Hi DPC thanks for the congrats. A new addition to the family is always wonderful and yes, it does give you something to look forward to. all the best Di 🙂
0 Kudos
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Hi Sqweege great to hear from you and I'm so glad your dad seems to be improving. One thing is for sure, when your dad starts to feel better, YOU will start to feel better too. He seems to be tolerating the chemo OK which is very good for him. The tiredness is always the worst part (I think anyway) and seems to stay with us continually. Glad your got over your virus - with this horrible topsy turvy weather we are having (hot one day, cold the next) just make sure that it doesnt creep back on you. Some of these virus's are really hard to shake. Gosh an 8 hour round trip - thats massive. Here am I bitching about a 4 hour round trip! It can certainly get you down when you have a lot of travelling to do, especially as you say when you are doing it alone. I'm doing well thanks, start 3rd cycle of oral chemo tomorrow - it isnt so bad. Partner says I get a bit shitty, but I try to tell him that's par for the course. Bailey is doing well, talk to them on the phone re: her progress but will try and get down to visit them end of this week or early next week. My son sends me lots of photos, so at least I feel like I am a part of it all. Take care - big hugs to you and dad Di xoxo 🙂
0 Kudos
Just_Me
Contributor

Hugs Sqweege. Having just lost my mother very recently (and very quickly) to cancer I am really feeling for you. By the time I found out my mother was terminal she was gone two weeks later. So one of the things I am struggling with is that I didn't get to say/ask everything I wanted to. So make the most of whatever time you have and say/ask everything you want.
0 Kudos
Sqweege
Contributor

Hi sweet Di How are you feeling post chemo? Dad had his 3rd chemo on Thursday. I just spoke to him and he's having a bad morning with his arrhythmia and is still in bed so I told him to go back to sleep. He's there alone which freaks me out but he says his g/f will be there later. I'm going down end of this week for a week. Lovely news, I've been asked to be God Mother to my darling nephew! I'm so thrilled about that, what an honour, I adore that little boy :) Yeah the travelling really does wear thin Di. How I wish Dad was closer. I suffer from chronic pain and the travelling tends to flare things up a bit, catch 22 situation really. Anyhoo, I think of you often Di and do hope you're doing ok! ((((huggles))) Sqweege
0 Kudos
Sqweege
Contributor

(((((((( Just Me )))))))) Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I can only imagine how you feel right now and my heart goes out to you. I am absolutely doing all I can to make the most of the time I have with my darling Dad and keep the lines of communication well & truly open. It's heartbreaking seeing a loved one suffer and I guess the only solace in them passing is that they suffer pain no longer. Lots of hugs
0 Kudos
Just_Me
Contributor

I said mum was gone two weeks after I found out she was terminal but it was actually only a week after. Until that moment I truly thought she'd be OK. Then I was told she had 2 to 3 months, which didn't seem like enough time. And then she was gone a week later. I am definitely glad my mother is no longer suffering, but a week just wasn't long enough to say everything I wanted to say. And now I have so many questions I wish I'd asked her about her life. I also really wish I'd asked about a will. We haven't been able to find one and I don't know if that means she didn't make one or we just can't find it. So it's going to be a long, tough process getting all her assets sorted. I hope your dad isn't suffering too much. I hope he's able to make the most of his time. xx
0 Kudos
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Hi Sqweege, I'm doing OK thanks - 1/2 way through the 3rd cycle, just a bit achey and tired, but apart from that - all is good. I am going to Melb tomorrow to stay with my son/DIL and see little Bailey - I cant wait, I'm sure she has grown over the last couple of weeks. The only bad part is I cant take my little dog Lilly with me - so I have to forego one 'baby' so that I can see the other baby. Never mind, at least I will get lots of hugs and licks when I return home. I do miss her terribly though, I think she is the only thing that keeps me sane in this whole mixed up life I have. I hope your dad's OK, it was usually around day 3 or 4 that I felt like crap after IV chemo - emotions running riot, crying for no reason and just soooooo tired. Although, I didnt have heart probs, so it is probably worse for your dad. Glad your going down to spend some time with him, it will do you both good. (once you recover from the drive, that is!) Isnt is annoying - there always seems to be a Catch 22 somewhere in our lives - it p..ses me off at times - why cant anything run smoothly? Great news about being a Godmum - there are still nice things that do happen. haha Might be offline while in Melb, so if I dont 'speak' with you, enjoy your week with your dad. Stay well and will catch you soon. Big hugs Di 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.